Aluminum pie tins, uses?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Any ideas of what to do with aluminum pie tins. A couple of years ago we were on the receiving end of boxes of several sizes of throw away pie and cup cake tins. We've used them to feed animals and put them in our camping gear. I don't make enough pies to put a dent in them, besides I rather use my glass pie dishes for that. We don't have little kids to do craft projects with and I don't want to make something just to use them up. Got enough work to do without looking for it. :p
I'd use them for potluck type events, except I usually bring a green salad from the garden. I do usually bring a small stack to these events, so people can take left overs home in them.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
If you really want to get rid of them I bet there is a school or daycare or etc in your area that would love to have them donated :)

They are good for mixing things, like epoxy or small amounts of paint being mixed for touch-ups/details or stuff like that. Anything messy that's going to be a pain to clean up after or require solvents or whatever.

You can use them as small flats for seed-starting, although you can't grow plants out very long in them b/c they are so shallow.

Some people hang them on strings to flutter in the wind around the newly planted seeds, or maturing corn, or like that, to scare away birds. Haven't done it myself so I can't say how well it works.

I am sure others will chime in with more and better ideas, there are a zillion uses for them, that's just all that's coming to my mind at the moment! :p

Have fun,

Pat

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i use them as deterrents for birds in the garden... mounted them on t-posts that were lying around and not good enough for my fencing to freak out the birds LOL.

they're also mounted on the chicken run posts to keep big birds away.

don't know if it works but farmers always used them at my grans house in the UK to keep the birds away.

xineohpoel

Power Conserver
Reaction score
There was a lady (I think) on BYC that used one under her chick feeder and found they wasted nearly 3/4 of their feed.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Around here folks put them on top of their fence posts to protect them from rainrot....well, at least the old timers did. Could be why their fences lasted so long around these parts.

You could use them to sprout grains in?

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The science teacher at your nearest school would probably LOVE to have them. If not, you can send them to me, lol!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was watching "Good Eats" last night, and Dalton used 2 of them to make a steamer for won tons. Just used them inside a flat pan, with a few holes in them, they seemed to work great.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Do you have any pie baking friends that would love to have the tins? One of my friends bakes 5 pies a week to donate to various charities (church dinners, shelters).

I read of someone who punched a whole in each and then tied them to their wire fencing so that the deer and ATV riders could see the fencing better.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Back where I grew up, people would tie a whole bunch around their fruit trees to keep the birds from getting their fruit.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Oh, thought of another thing I've done -- mouse baffles for table legs and cords. Poke hole thru middle of pie tin, insert table leg or cord, duct tape up any extra hole (e.g. how you have to cut the hole bigger than the cord itself to let the plug through), then duct tape FROM TOP SIDE so that it does not tip way over to any one side.

I've used this on electrical cords and (with plastic ice cream tub lids, but piepans would actually work better) on the legs of the card table on which I start my seedlings. Works good for me.

Pat