always check your tree stand....

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My DH was almost scared out of his stand by a squirrel once (the squirrel got a good scare too). I'm sure a raccoon would send you flyin'! :gig

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I was sitting in my tree stand last yr and had a squirrel poop on me.....little s$!*.....literally! :gig

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
Coons don't have much meat on them though. Mostly good for the hide.
Sorry, but I beg to differ. With one, medium sized racoon (cooked like a roast with potatoes, carrots & some greens), we fed 7 people and still had enough meat leftover to eat 1 meal for four and 1 meal for 2. And my kids can EAT.
It tastes like roast beef :drool You just have to take care to get all the musk glands off.

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
EKKKKK! The world's gonna have to end first before I'll eat one of them rats! :sick

I do like squirrle though. "Chicken of the trees " LOL!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
ohmigosh.. chicken of the TREES!??!?!? ha ha ha ha ha ha thats too much

SKR8PN - ha! i was just thinking about that!!! you know its coming up when you see the "can i come and hunt racoons on your property' listings on CL! ha!

and no.. i aint goin. this year.
;-)

suburbanhomesteader

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
We have a program here in Texas whereby hunters leave their covered stands open for the spring, to provide nesting places for owls.

Before I knew of such a program, I was surprised one spring when I went to recover a pair of misplaced binoculars and a great horned owl spooked out of the blind, wacking me in the face with her wing as she left.

And of course there's the yellow jacket nests...

I just love living in Texas!