AmericanHomesteader...Life in the Desert totally Off-Grid!!

AmericanHomesteader

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok all round 2 on the garden, went and bought fencing, replanted everything, adding extra water, means extra trips to town to fill water barrels and things are coming back up and nothing getting to it now, We will see if this works :barnie

We really need the garden, next month i'm starting on the DW greenhouse, out here we have a pretty long growing season so has fingers crossed we will get some stuff grown before it freezes.

We did move up in the world now lol, we bought a gas stove sure beats the little coleman camp stove when cooking for a family of four. Things are going pretty good here, all the homestead animals and flock is fine. DD has been sitting up at the farmers market every saturday and selling baked goods she made and doing face painting, she made 63.00 this past saturday, she was excited :)

Got the wind generator up and it helps out the solar panels, temps here have cooled down from the 100+ to low to mid 90"s. The monsoon has been giving us some rain.

Will post more later time to get to the daily chores, lol life off grid on the homestead :)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I'll praying for your sucess :) It's frustrating and your new at this and new area....

AmericanHomesteader

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We found a person that is getting out of the rabbit business, she had a pair of New Zealands and a pair of Californian Rabbits left, she sold them to us for 30.00 a pair they are all about 1 year old, She is holding the Californian's for us till i get a hutch made for them only had room for one pair.

No one in our area is raising and selling rabbits, we thought we will give it a try for extra income, plus having meat also :)

I shot a cottontail that was in the garden and dressed it out, first time the kids ate rabbit lol, DD was a bit of a drama queen about it but DS loved it.

Garden is coming up good

Will post more later

AmericanHomesteader

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi all its been awhile since i posted but all is going great living off the grid on our homestead, just about done insulating our small home, we add several more chickens to the homestead, wont belong till we start dressing out some of our extra roosters, starting to build a small smoke house to preserve meat. Follow my blog also at http://homesteading-arizona.blogspot.com have several pictures up there.

We harvested our pumpkins yesterday looking forward to a fresh pie :) Also fatting up one of our tom's for thanksgiving.

Post more later

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Glad to see you on here! Wondered where you'd been, and how you were doing. I've missed reading your updates.

Ablewoman

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I'm new to the SufficientSelf site and I have been browsing through posts for the last several months. I came upon one of your posts where you discussed how you grow your potatoes. I thought I had bookmarked the page but now can't find the post. :( Could you direct me to that particular post?

AmericanHomesteader

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi All :)
We are still alive and well, we have been off grid and homesteading now for over a year, It has been alot of work but we are finally getting there. Garden is doing great, we are almost totally self sufficient now. We are raising sheep, goats,turkeys,chickens and rabbits. Please check out our blog at www.homesteading-arizona.blogspot.com