America's new pastime - Milking goats

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm highly suspicious of the first graph and the others also. So in 2007 all farm animals were equal at zero? Zero what? It's hogwash! If I developed a graph like that at work I wouldn't have a job much longer.

Screenshot_2019-05-19-15-10-17.png

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No one wants Bison? :idunno:lol:

Goats are great! WHO TOLD??????? :cool:

I read the article and she didn't touch on "lactase" being more prevalent in goat milk, the enzyme that mitigates ome of the lactose (that is already lower) and the A2 milk thing -- which goats are.

Love my goats, the milk and cheese, yogurts, kefir and all that. But I am NOT wanting 1000 of them:ep Nope, no dairy set up for me! I'll just enjoy what's here and "share" some. Sell a few milk trained, too.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That graph is just showing the percentage of increase/decrease in total numbers since 2007. So, at 2007, there was no change in any of the data since 2007.
Hard to really tell what the graph really means without knowing the actual data. With the huge numbers of dairy cattle - a 1% increase may mean there are 100 cows added to a dairy heard for every 1 goat. It's the magic of statistics - you can get numbers to say most anything you want...
I thought it was a fairly weak article also. But interesting.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sheep are lovely animals. I'd probably have a few if not for the copper difference between them & goats -- feed to buy, watch, control, etc. So, I stay with goats.

Today was a very soothing day for milking. :idunno Just was. And I needed it! Brat & I were both relaxed and happy. While milking, I had a story come to mind....

My late DH was a child of the depression and lived with his aunt for a few years. Both Aunt & her DH were legally blind. He remembers the "bread lines' during these times and that his aunt had a goat -- that she milked to provide for herself, DH, their 2 kids & DH & sister. Winters in Long Island were cold and the goat was then kept in the basement. Summers she was tied out to graze the yard. A pair of rabbits helped provide litters for meat.

Odd what your mind recalls during some of our farm days. And many of us still depend on these wonderful animals for meat, milk, cheese, cream, butter and love. It's why we homestead. :love

Latest posts