An awesome documentary that in the end proves the point

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Most of us here recognize the future will be different than many people believe. This BBC documentary, beautifully done and not insulting to your intelligence is worth the time and very worth the ending!!

Yes, it is broken up into pieces, but the BBC hasn't allowed it in the US yet. So hurry up and catch it before they take it down!

http://www.youtube.com/user/RobFinlay

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My computer is too slow, I wish I could watch. Do you think if hubby downloaded them at work, he might be able to save it to a memory stick?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I watched all 8 segments. Very eye opening.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow. I knew it was bad but never realized just how bad. I LOVE older architecture and to see those beautiful buildings having been allowed to rot and be ravaged by anyone that comes along just breaks my heart. It was inspirational that there are a few people that are using inner city Detroit as an experimental ground to return back to a more SS type of life, though.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Good show. I enjoyed the way it was put together with the old meeting the current.

Detroit is a city that was built on greed, hate and desperation, not surprising that it comes to an end in this way.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
For more interesting urban abandonment try looking up Cairo, Illinois. It has been in a similar state for years and for similar reasons. Cairo

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cairo looks more like people just up and walked away...... :/

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
It was similar to Detroit. Very racially divided and then torn by that hate. Finally businesses started to close and poverty just set in to stay. I learned about it about two years ago. Modern ruins seem to fascinate me.

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Requiem for Detroit was interesting. I watched all the segments, and even while they were driving by all the ruins I was thinking "Hmm, I'll bet I could grow food in those yards, and I'll bet I could get lots of free building materials for a chicken coop." And then in the end they said how urban agriculture is maybe the 'hope' of Detroit, and I felt justified.

It reminded me a lot of 'Farm City - the education of an urban farmer" by Novella Carpenter. It's aa book about a lady farming in a ghetto of Oakland CA. It's hopeful, funny and inspiring.

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Detroit is doing a sort of urban homesteading..... Like the way the West was settled, if you come in and maintain the land eventually it will become yours. In a few cases I have heard of you have to pay a $20 to $50 title transfer fee.

In most they did not ask for back taxes or anything else, but it must be a primary residence and/or cultivated lot, it can't be owned or bought by a business. More abandoned cities should try this.....