An Easier Way To Empty Eggs?

LauraJean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hope this is a good place for this, I had no idea where to post it. I was searching craft websites for the answer to this question, but when I had no luck I thought that a lot of you have chickens and geese, maybe you can help.

You know when you want to do Easter Eggs and you take a raw egg and put a pin hole in the ends and blow the contents out so you can decorate it?

Okay, well, that's essentially what I'm trying to do, but they aren't Easter eggs, and they are goose eggs. I have a basketful that I gathered when I watched my neighbors geese when they were on vacation. I just want to empty them and display them in a basket, because they look neat. Well, I'm blowing my bleeping brains out with these huge eggs!:sick It takes forever just to do one, and literally becomes painful. They're just to big (or my cheeks are too weak, lol). I tried making the bottom hole bigger, but that isn't really helping.

Does anyone know if there is any other way to empty these eggs other than rupturing blood vessels in my face? I can't imagine what other way there would be, but ya never know, thought I'd at least ask.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Make both holes a little bigger - exit slightly more than entrance -, and stick a skewer inside to break the yolk and mix it up a little. Also, don't do too many at a time. Fresh eggs stay good for quite awhile; just do one or two at a time, and eventually they will all be done. (I keep several blown out eggs from each of my hens to show to people who ask "how can you tell them apart" :D)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
You could try a big (10cc or larger) syringe with a huge gauge needle.
Most vet clinics will give you one.
Ditto.

Put the holes in the egg, hold it covering both holes and shake violently to break the yoke.

Hold a finger under the bottom hole. Inject air (at least 3 cc - that is the biggest I had).

Then sover the top hole with a finger, take a deep breath and start blowing the top hole, THEN uncover the bottom hole.

It raises the pressure without giving you a headache. Once the first bit is started, it goes a lot easier.

I think if you just draw it out with a syringe, you can only make 1 hole.

LauraJean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
I bought a kit many years ago. It is made in Germany. Basically you use a syringe to blow air into the egg, forcing out the egg.
Here is a link to the company and the eggblowing kit I bought.

http://www.hearthsong.com/product.asp?pcode=1089&crs=3270&ref=product

It even comes with a tool to make the hole in the egg. It works great!!
for 6 bucks?! SOLD. I'd spend more in gas money driving to the vet to get a syringe. Thanks for the various tips, but if this gadget works I am totally sold. Thank you! :) :clap

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I have been using this gadget for many years. I love it. The plastic part wears out after a few years. But I love not blowing my brains out every easter :lol:
And the little tool for making the hole is really handy too. It is shaped in a special way, so when you twist it and apply a little pressure on the egg, it just bores into the shell making a perfect round hole, rarely cracking the egg.
I would recommend buying two right away, if you can afford it. Since you'll have to pay for shipping anyway.
I bought four, more than 15 years ago and still have one that is good. I was working working for the company that sold them at the time and got a good discount ;)
I will never go back to blowing eggs out (especially goose eggs!) without this tool. It is so worth the money.

LauraJean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Good idea, I will buy a couple of the kits. I almost asked you if they last very long. Since I have chicks now, I'm sure I'll be doing crafts and stuff with the chicken eggs too. Thanks again, I'm psyched that there's an easy solution!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Just make sure you clean them out after using them. Trying to get dried out eggstuff out off that little needle after it has dried is nearly impossible

LauraJean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
I bought a kit many years ago. It is made in Germany. Basically you use a syringe to blow air into the egg, forcing out the egg.
Here is a link to the company and the eggblowing kit I bought.

http://www.hearthsong.com/product.asp?pcode=1089&crs=3270&ref=product

It even comes with a tool to make the hole in the egg. It works great!!
Farmer Denise, I love you! :hugs I received my kits today and just tested one out on a goose egg. I can't believe how much easier that was! No more blowing my brains out on those huge eggs! I wish it was a little more durable, it looks like it will wear out quickly, but I did take your advice and ordered two. TOTALLY worth the price! And that little pointy thing is so much easier than hacking away at it with a dental pick and fearing breaking it.

The package is a little funny. Being in German, I don't know what it says but it has the pic of the item being used on and egg, and then butterflies all over the box. I don't know what butterflies have to do with draining eggs, but that's fine with me, lol. They even threw in a "free sample" Organic energy bar! That makes up for how long they took to ship it. :D

Now that I have chickens, I may just order a few more of these to have on hand just in case they decide to stop making them. Thanks again for the great tip! I owe you one!
:thumbsup