And I just met the weirdest lady........

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
even our Russian Orloff rooster didn't like her! He's our wimpiest rooster - but he definitely wanted a piece of this woman!

She came to pick up the extra crib and a few other extra baby items I have. She said she's trying to help a woman who's due with a baby girl in December who had absolutely nothing.

I had 2 cribs given to me, 3 strollers, and a stationary walker like thing that I probably wouldn't use, and a bobby pillow. Plus, LOTS of clothes that I had got at yardsales and people have given so much - so I will admit I picked through the yardsale outfits and gave away a few little outfits because I figured the mom would need something. Also sent some bibs, booties, and hygiene items.

But.

The lady who arranged to pick up was trying awfully hard to convince me the stuff was being donated to a woman in need, even though she couldn't tell me where the woman is at or recall her name - lol

and she told me she has 5 children herself.

And when she left, E said that woman needs to quit breeding! This is one of those sayings people use all the time that makes me mad, because I have a lot of kids! E's attitude was she was super weird and was really not nice to her son she'd brought with her (kept calling him dummy) and the kid had a mullet! :th E actually walked away, I think he was getting mad at the dummy comments.

Then she'd say, "dude, not that way, dummy dude, hook it this way" um ok

I really don't care if she intends to re-sell the stuff, I'm happy to have it gone and I don't have to store it anymore, but at the same time, I'm really hoping it IS going to a mom who needs it. I would have picked out some nicer things to share if I truly felt she was being 100% honest about where it's going.

Regardless, I hope some mom out there is happy. Anything else I have or am given for Baby Girl that I don't need/won't use will definitely go straight to Wellspring or given in person to the mom with the need.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just a thought, I've donated things (like a used walker) directly to Social Services, since the social workers there know of families who are in need. People donate fans & a/c units during the summer. And sometimes they make a request for donations of furniture for women setting up households after getting out of abusive situations. I figure the folks have been "vetted" & not just looking for something to resell for a profit...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
thanks, i_am2bz, I think next time I have baby items, it's going directly to Wellspring. I know they give it to those who need it.

I guess I really don't care if she re-sells it, I just felt something was off with her, and our Russian Orloff has never tried to flog anyone for just being in our yard before! lol

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
I guess I really don't care if she re-sells it, I just felt something was off with her, and our Russian Orloff has never tried to flog anyone for just being in our yard before! lol
Always trust the rooster!! :lol: ;)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Rooster knows.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
We gave away an old table through Freecycle. The lady spent a lot of time telling me about the women's shelter it was going to. A year or so later we went to pick up some windows at the same lady's house and there was our table in her kitchen.... :rolleyes:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I had a similar incident at my yard sale....lady kept saying over and over about a disabled man who needed a porch swing because theirs broke and they didn't have any money, etc. I brought my price down from $40 to $15 for her~oak, hand made by a craftsman, 6 ft. swing. Come to find out she was visiting one of my patients that weekend, is very wealthy and was using my patient as her fictional "disabled man"....my patient doesn't even have a porch swing, never did, nor needed one. :rolleyes:

My patient and his wife was so embarassed by their lying guest...hadn't known where they turned up the porch swing that they toted home and placed on their rather large front porch~ until I was telling the story to them the next week and they put two and two together.

Your first instinct is usually right....I had a funny feeling about this lady as well. She didn't seem like the compassionate, altruistic type. She wasn't...just a liar.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Some people are just pathological liars! I am sure if she would have just told you that she was pg and needed for herself or just said THANK YOU with NO story you would not have minded at all.