And now I wait for Spring!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I haven't got spring fever yet, but my seed catalogs are annoying me. I'd love to order a bunch of seeds to start under lights in the basement. I've done it before. Last year was disaster. My mother forgot to water them when we were away for a few days. The seedlings that survived were then eaten by a mouse that got in the house. I was devastated. I'm going to try to make do with plants from a nursery this year. It reduces my choices significantly, and I won't get the heirlooms I really want. I just don't know what else to try.
Spring fever will in a month or so for me.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Mother Nature was sure teasing us last week. Our daffodils and some of the the other bulbs and rhizomes are trying to come up.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is the time of year when I wished I lived in the south. January & Feb are the WORST! Plus I have to start back to work for the Evil Overlord tomorrow after 2 weeks off! :tongue But I've already started one flat of seedlings (the basil is peeping up!), and I'll probably do another this week. Got my first seed order in to Shumways & am working on one to Baker Creek. That's what gets me thru! :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
CK, I do Shumway's too! :) I like the bit about the Evil Overlord! :lol: I have had bosses like that!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Ahhh, and I have to wait for June 1 to actually plant...but at least i can start hatching chicks in April:>)
I brought one of my silkies in the house yesterday...it wasn't doing well in the henhouse...I brought it in and figured out that it's eyes were glued shut and it had huge balls of frozen poop on it's feet...no wonder it wan't doing well. It sure looks healthier this morning, but now I have to figure out how to get it back in the henhouse in sub zero temps after it being in a warm house....hmmmm....any ideas? I am not adding heat to the henhouse...it'll just make all the other hens sick at this point if I do....
Will it hurt top just put it back in??

Farmer Kitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have to wait for the end of May for the garden. If I'm really lucky the cold weather stuff can go in mid May. Eggs can go into the incubator earlier though! :)

Do you have a three season porch that you could put her in to adjust back to the cold weather? Other wise maybe wait for a "warm" day and put her back. I wouldn't wait to long though or it would be harder on her.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty said:
I have to wait for the end of May for the garden. If I'm really lucky the cold weather stuff can go in mid May. Eggs can go into the incubator earlier though! :)

Do you have a three season porch that you could put her in to adjust back to the cold weather? Other wise maybe wait for a "warm" day and put her back. I wouldn't wait to long though or it would be harder on her.
No three season porch here:>) And warm days are a long time coming...she seems very lonely in the house though...she isn't moving around much. She is a cross beak so I knew I might have a hard time with her this winter. Maybe I'll try putting her back today, it can't be any worse than a bird with a heat lamp over the roost at night can it?

You have to wait as long as I do to plant:>) We can put cold weather stuff in about the third week of May...I am getting anxiuos for spring!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
did you put her back yet?
yea get her back into the henhouse as fast as possible unless you want a live-in chicken all winter..LOL-LOL

if she can't truly handle it then it is time to cull her. I know you know this. We can support and help a bit, but in the end survival of the fittest works best.

June for you----you sure are north morel. I know now with waiting til June for warmer weather I couldn't give up living in the south. I am wimpy now and want the easy winters I have!

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I can't wait for spring either! If I snows again this week I think I am going to cry.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I put the hen back in the henhouse this morning...it was only about -10C so really not that bad...I really didn't want a house chicken for the winter...that idea scared me into putting her back! You are right Farmer Chick, if I have to cull her I will:>) Thanks for the great advice and understanding:>)