Angle-grinder users: handy trick

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Anybody here rely on an angle grinder? I have three of them, two different makes. They all use the same size & type of wrench for tightening/changing disks. Normally, I do keep one in a tool tray with various disks, but these wrenches are small and it's happened that I’ve temporarily misplaced it or that the tray is inconveniently far away from where I’m working. Here’s my “hack” for keeping an angle-grinder wrench located and handy.

I cut a short piece of old 110/120volt power cord with a male plug end. I cut off the “hot” prong (in N.America the one that goes into the narrower slot of the receptacle or extension-cord female plug). The remaining prongs are neutral and ground. That way, there's no possibility of electricity going into the short remaining bit of cord. Hence the gadget is safe. The remaining two prongs ensure the plug can only be inserted with the proper, safe orientation.
plug wire 2.JPG

Then I super-tightly taped a grinder wrench to the piece of power cord. Getting it tight is important so that the wrench will never slip from the bit of cord.
taped up.JPG

So whenever I’m using an angle grinder, I can have this wrench ‘plugged in’ to the outlet I’m taking power from. Also works nicely if I’ve plugged it into an extension cord where there are two or more female plug ends (one for power, one to hold the wrench).
wrench handy.JPG

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It is cool - but if I hadn't read the explanation/description I would never have grabbed it, lol.