animal emergency kits

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So, after having to hand feed a chick at 1am last night I realized I need an emergency kit. I didn't have any hand feeding bird baby formula so I had to run around and put something together, then had to attempt at hand feed out of a way too big syringe since I had nothing else. Phew.

So what are in your kits? We don't cull at my place, I'm a backyarder with pets, so we fix. I have a variety of powders, one vegetarian mix from Oxbow, and a crested gecko mix that the gecko gets everyday. I was thinking the omnivorous formula by Oxbow? That way I could mix some in for hand feeding. Syringes of every kind needed, those heat blankets, variety of meds, vetrap...

What else? I am going to do a big Cal Vet order.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We hand fed a large number of wild baby birds to adulthood over my childhood years with a pretty un-orthodox mixture. We used a good quality DOG food soaked with a bit of water to moisten until soft and mixed that with a fresh egg yolk and sometimes even added a dab of yogurt.

Of course now days there are actually hand feeding mixes available. The old standby still works in a pinch or with feeble older birds as well.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Usually I have Exact handfeeding formula on hand, comes in handy with sick hens! But I didn't have any last night.

I was thinking adding the carnivore formula into my pile as chickens have different/higher protein requirements then your average cockatiel/lovebird/etc.

Any other suggestiongs for my kit?? :)

(Btw, Sunny had a healthy appetite this AM!! I just had to get some energy/nourishment, warmth and sleep in to her.)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Timely post. I just picked up 5 new chicks yesterday. The 2 bantams took longer than the others to get over the less than optimum temps in the car for the ride home (1 1/2 hour drive, but they had a hotwater bottle), but seemed to have perked up by the time I went to bed. This morning one of the little ones seemed very lethargic. I encouraged it to drink some water (that is, I dunked its beak until it swallowed), and then called the chicken guy at the farm store. He suggested a little sugar water, and maybe some cottage cheese. I got some sugar into the wee one (into all of them actually), but will need to buy some cottage cheese. The sugar seemed to perk her up. I feel a little foolish that I am not better prepared, but the other new chicks I have had have thrived with no special care.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ohhh, that's why I thought of adding the gecko mix that was fruit based, sugar! If you want me to mix you up a baggie that you just add water too, I can! I have lots and lots of all these powders. I thought this AM of adding in Zoo formula, so I just poured it over their food this AM.

Anyone have suggestions for my kit??

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My little bantam chick didn't survive, and I'm not at all sure about her sister. The other 3, the standard chicks, are bouncing about as they ought. I'm feeling a bit down right now.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
*hugs* it happens hunny, not every chick is supposed to live unfortunately :(

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
My little bantam chick didn't survive, and I'm not at all sure about her sister. The other 3, the standard chicks, are bouncing about as they ought. I'm feeling a bit down right now.
So sorry, ORChick...that's sad. :(

MsPony - where do you get your "mix"? At a feed store? Pet store that sells exotic birds?

As far as a kit goes, I do keep pretty much every needle-less syringe I get my hands on (like, when the vet gives you something to administer at home). But really, I have more things together for my dogs & cats than my birds. :/

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Normally I get exact handfeeding baby bird, but I am making a mix of the Oxbow vet lines (herbivore and carnivore), PGR, Zoo formula, chick feed and crested gecko food. I need some sort of probio in there...Ill have to run it by my vet, but if it deems good, want some? I can make up a few little baggies.

Thanks for the input guys :) I will run around Cal Vet and see if there's anything else on the list...

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MsPony said:
Normally I get exact handfeeding baby bird, but I am making a mix of the Oxbow vet lines (herbivore and carnivore), PGR, Zoo formula, chick feed and crested gecko food. I need some sort of probio in there...Ill have to run it by my vet, but if it deems good, want some? I can make up a few little baggies.
Sure! Sounds like a handy thing to keep around. :) PM me & I can give you my address.