Another cheese recipe (link) - no exotic ingredients except rennet

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I can now vouch for this being worthwhile:

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/Fankhauser/Cheese/Cheese98.htm

It is a simple hard cheese using buttermilk (regular ol' cultured buttermilk from the store, just buy a pint and there ya go, recipe only uses a couple Tbsp so plan on pancakes or whatever too, mmm) as the culture, so you do not have to buy any special starter culture from exotic mailorder outlets. You do need rennet tablets or liquid, and a good dairy-type thermometer (accurate in the vicinity of 30-40 C) (sorry, do your own Farenheit conversion :p).

It was quite easy to make -- I used my canning kettle as the outer part of a double boiler, with the rack in it to keep the stainless-steel pot I had the milk in up off the canner bottom. I was initially pretty unhappy with the results though, as it tasted like (surprise) buttermilk, which I love in pancakes etc but not on its own.

So after a few days' salting/drying/turning, I wrapped it in cheesecloth and put into the meat drawer of fridge and basically ignored it for a month (should have waxed it, but didn't). Ran out of cheese tonight when preparing scalloped potatoes, so I cut into the buttermilk cheese -- it doesn't taste particularly like buttermilk anymore! It is crumbly (probably partly b/c I did not wax) and very cheesey-tasting and rather sharp, I suppose I would compare it in a general way to an older chedddar. Nice!

So, even if you don't have a goat, as long as you can get reasonably fresh not-too-hotly-pasteurized storeboughten milk, it's a hard cheese recipe worth trying IMO.

Have fun,

Pat

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Pat--you have to stop this!! I don't have time for this right now, lol. I think I might just have to try it, since I bought buttermilk yesterday to make ranch salad dressing, and only used a cup of it. Old cheddar is one of my faves.

I still have lotsa painting to do, and I gotta get my garden ready!!!!!!! But i wanna make cheese!!!!!!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I love that site, I'll have to try that cheese. I have some buttermilk culture in the freezer. Glad to hear your good report. The traditional recipes are VERY time-consuming!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Wonderful! I culture my own buttermilk (easiest thing in the world), so I always have it on hand. I think I have some rennet with my original cheese-making kit. Thanks! I'm saving this one for a rainy day. Right now is too busy with garden and yard stuff. :)

Latest posts