Another Laundry Question...

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Last Summer I washed a comforter in my machine and forgot it wa sthere and it soured. I have washed it a gazillion times since then trying to remove the odor and it just won't leave :he I have tried a variety of products and combinations of products including vinegar, ammonia, a bit of bleach, all to no avail. It smells almost as bad as the day I found it soured in my washer. Any ideas?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I understand that borax takes out odors; I usually add a scoop to the soap dispenser when doing stinky laundry, though I've never had anything in the same caliber as your comforter :D. As you have washed it already so often you might just use the borax, let the whole lot "marinate" for awhile before rinsing it out. And my first thought reading your post was Sunshine, and you should have enough of that where you live. Hang it out in the sun for awhile. Good luck.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Have you tried letting the ozone remove the odor? I'd hang it up out in the sun after your next wash and leave it.....for days. I got the mold smell out of a pleather jacket like that recently when numerous products and washings would not do it.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I agree.....borax got most of the stink out of winter horse blankets....think about it, non-horse-owners...a gelding's wiener is in the middle of his body, sort of, so he tends to tinkle in the middle of his stall....eventually he lies down to snooze, and soaks his blanket. Ewwww.... :sick Borax added to the wash did a great job.

Hanging in the sun and wind for days will finish off any smell. Be sure to turn it on occasion, and hang it where it will not tempt any boy dogs to decorate it...they sure love to cover odors with their own.

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, I'm going to try that... just as soon as it quits RAINING :lol: I hadn't thought of fresh air, and I didn't know that borax might help also - I will have to get some. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would try some borax or washing soda or both and then hang out on the line for some time like days.. I have done this before and it worked for me. Good Luck!

eggs4sale

Lush who can't use a cheese grater
Reaction score
freemotion said:
....think about it, non-horse-owners...a gelding's wiener is in the middle of his body, sort of, so he tends to tinkle in the middle of his stall....eventually he lies down to snooze, and soaks his blanket. Ewwww.... :sick
:ep :gig

:gig :lol:

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Answers to questions you were afraid to ask - the location of a horse's weiner. Look for it tonight on Jeopardy.:lol: