Another laundry soap opic.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been making my own laundry liquid for quite some time now and it seems to work just fine. I use the formula that is provided here on SS.

We all try to be as self sufficient as possible and mix our own stuff to make laundry soap and then we run out to the store to buy the ingredients to make it. What's up with that?

I sure wish the recipe for the laundry soap included instructions on how to it without a trip to the store.

Both Borax and Washing Soda are mined and processed in large factories located in Wyoming, Colorado, and Arizona. And the mining equipment is WAY beyond our SS abilities. Any ideas on Soda and Borax substitutes?

Fels Naptha soap is nothing more than Grandma's Lye Soap so we can duplicate that.

Any ideas out there?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Actually, I just do it because it is cheaper. One can wash their clothing in only just water and vinegar and get favorable results if they truly need to become self-sustaining.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well ... I just made a batch that will last me practically forever. I'm actually more worried about it going bad somehow. It will do 640 loads and at the rate I do laundry, that's a long time.

It used less than $2 worth of materials. Closer to $1, but a little over. Actually cost me nothing, since my neighbor brought all her stuff for me to make it.

I'm not one, at this point, to try to remove myself from the system and do it ALL myself from scratch. It's nice to have the knowledge of how to do that, should it become necessary, and I'm certainly not knocking anyone else's desires or decisions. But no, for me it's good enough to be able to be able to wash clothes for as long as a few years for a couple dollars and a couple hour's work.

If I no longer have the ability to buy washing soda and soap, I suspect I will no longer be able to load laundry into a machine and run it either. And for me, I'd rather wash that way. I'm satisfied to make my own soap and dry them on the line. :)

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
don't know about the borax, but you CAN make your own washing soda by baking your baking soda - I've posted on this here before, post #31 here