Another Sue Happy Don't Want to Work for My Money American - venting!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I didn't catch where it happened, but on the news this morning, a guy wrestled a bank robber to the floor, and ultimately stopped him from robbing a bank. He was a bank customer, not an employee.

He's now SUING the bank, because the robber had shot him in the leg!! :th

HOW is this the banks responsibility????? They didn't tell him to wrestle the guy to the ground.

Granted, the security guard wasn't even paying attention, which I guess this is why the guy took action, BUT, I still don't feel the guy is entitled to SUE for money.

That makes me think he wasn't trying to be a good citizen, or a hero as he is now labeled, but is now using this as an opportunity to milk it for what it's worth.

The bank released a statement saying they offered to pay all his medical bills since he was shot in the leg, but he refused their offer because, "His wife's insurance covered all of his medical bills."

:he :smack :rant :somad

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Fact of the matter is that most businesses, and especially banks carry liability for injury and they expect a suit.

This guy may never walk properly again and who knows how many lives he might have saved. He risked all. Bullet wounds can leave pain and suffering for quite a while.

The media is just making a story out of it. Haven't they anything better to report? Suits like this go on all the time.

Let them duke it out in court or where ever it goes.

Most people would have cowered.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I will add - It is possible that after the wifes health insurance company paid for all the medical bills they retracted their payments due to the circumstances. Them saying the bank is responsible for this. Which left the good samaritan oweing all the bills. Plus, lost wages.
If he refused medical payments from the bank in the beginning then went back to them the Bank may have said no which left him with no recourse but to sue.
I think there may be more to this story than the media is telling.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Did you know you can get fired for not just handing over the money quickly and quietly if you are an employee? They don't want heroics that get their employees killed. So if you break that rule, they'll fire you.

Some kid at a 7-11 caught the robber and got fired and sued LOL. But it is in the rules when you sign on anywhere. I remember reading it at Panera.

You can also get fired for stopping a shoplifter because they sue so often for public embarrassment. You are only allowed to point them out to management. *laughs*

So I'm not surprised no one else was stopping a bank robber. Who knows what rules the guards have about it all.

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I used to work as a bank teller and when I got robbed I actually got paid $200 because I did everything right! As in I handed the guy everything in my drawer and pushed the robbery button, informed someone, then fainted. Well, maybe I wasn't supposed to faint. But we were instructed not to be heros, to do what we were told, and then let the FBI handle it. Most banks have FBI stationed within five minutes of them. If you are prompt in pressing the buttons then they will be there fast enough to at least catch a glimpse of the guy. Or to trail him. But truthfully the banks do not want to antagonize the robbers at all. Oh, and when in movies the robbers kidnap the manager of a branch and get him to open the vault for them, yeah, that couldn't happen. Managers couldn't do that. I have a lot more respect for how banks work having worked in one than I used to. I also don't trust tellers as much as ATMs having been a teller. And think credit unions rock after having worked at a major national bank. And this was over ten years ago, long before the banking crisis. ;)

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmmm so if I'm really quick and get in and out of there before the FBI arrives, I could buy a ranch - cash?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

:gig

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
Hmmmmmmmm so if I'm really quick and get in and out of there before the FBI arrives, I could buy a ranch - cash?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Yep, and I bet that IF you chose to do that, and didn't get away because a customer chooses to tackled you to stop your robbery, you could probably sue!! You can sue the customer for assault, because obviously you didn't tell that guy to attack you! and two, you can sue the bank for having an unruly customer that put YOUR life at risk because he should have realized you're carrying a loaded gun.

I guess my feeling on this whole thing is the guy was shot in the leg because of what he chose to do. The bank didn't make him do it. The bank didn't shoot him in the leg. If he wants to sue someone, he should sue the guy who shot him. After all, if that guy hadn't chose to rob the bank, he wouldn't have been in the position to choose to attack him.

I'm a firm believer in personal responsibility when actions we choose to take cause us harm or harm to someone else.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
I'm a firm believer in personal responsibility when actions we choose to take cause us harm or harm to someone else.
THAT!!!

personal choice is everything.