Ant Poison?

andehens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Did I read somewhere that sugar and boric acid will make an ant poison that the ants will take back to the nest and it wipes out the colony?
We have ants (the odiforous kind) so bad this year you almost can't find a spot to stand without being stung, the trees are also crawling with them.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I'm not sure about ants, but that does work for roaches. My mother swears (ok, she doesn't really swear, and she gets mad when I do. :rolleyes: ), anyway, she "affirms" that sprinkling dry grits on ant beds will get rid of most of them. She claims that the grits puff up and kill the ants after they eat it. Go figure.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
By "dry grits" do you mean cornmeal? Can I grind up some feed corn and use this?

eta: I'm a Northerner, can you tell? :rolleyes: I do love boiled peanuts, though!

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A couple pots of boiling water on the nest has worked for me in the past.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
freemotion said:
By "dry grits" do you mean cornmeal? Can I grind up some feed corn and use this?

eta: I'm a Northerner, can you tell? :rolleyes: I do love boiled peanuts, though!
Yes, mom says dry grits work great. It's weird, I was born and raised in the deep south and never really cared for boiled peanuts. Give me a bag of fresh roasted peanuts on a cold night, watching a Mardi Gras parade, and I'm in heaven.

Pam, I didn't know about the corn meal. Thanks for the info!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't think the grits or cornmeal "puffs up" to kill them, but they say that the corn is corrosive to their digestive tracts and kills them in this manner.

I've used this method and it really works! Got to leave them some out all the time, though, to kill them and any other newcomers that may wonder into the premises. I just keep a jar lid on my counter with cornmeal in it.