Antibiotic Ointment

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got this recipe off the internet a couple of years ago and have lost the source. I apologize for not being able to credit the person that posted this originally. If anyone knows where this came from, please post so they can get proper credit.

Homemade “Neosporin”

1/2 cup coconut oil (heals burns, anti-microbial, anti-bacterial, great moisturizer)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (full of vitamins & a great moisturizer)
1/4 cup dried comfrey (an herb for healing wounds)
1/4 cup dried calendula (an herb for healing wounds & skin irritations)
2oz beeswax
2 tablespoons of honey (natural moisturizer with anti-microbial properties)
10 drops lavender essential oil (anti-bacterial, anti-microbial, & analgesic) (optional)

In a medium saucepan – combine the coconut oil, olive oil, comfrey, & calendula. Cook on low to medium heat for about 20-30 minutes, stirring often. You can also get more ‘healing zip’ from the herbs by soaking the herbs in the olive oil for 2 to 6 weeks instead of cooking (longer you soak, more healing properties get infused). Then you would follow the rest of the recipe accordingly, with the exception of adding the coconut oil to the mixture before adding in the beeswax.

Strain the mixture using a cheesecloth or coffee filter.

Toss the herbs & wipe out any remaining herbs from your saucepan. Add the strained oil back to your pot, turn the heat to low. Stir in the honey at this point until mixed.

Add the beeswax and stir until completely melted.

Stir in the essential oil, if using, at this point. Once combined, remove from the heat.

You’ll want to work quickly now as the salve starts to set up rather fast. Pour into the glass or tin container(s) of your choice. I used wide mouth 8 oz jars. Stir or shake occasionally while it cools to ensure that everything settles properly, especially the honey.

Once it sets up, you’re all done. Each batch makes a little over a cup. Seal it up & keep it on hand for your boo-boos, diaper rash, & dry skin. It keeps for a year.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Love having the recipe to copy & use. While some may have, I don't and like to use natural when possible. I actually have all the ingredients except calendula (no problem, can get). I do grow comfrey and actually soak in olive oil in the sun of my front porch! Works to heal!

Thanks.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I grew calendula last year, but my comfrey died so I'm starting some fresh. Hopefully the ointment I have left will last until I can harvest a few leaves.
The first time I made it, I just bought the dried herbs from Mountain Rose

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Interesting. I use a common weed called plantain (not the tropical fruit). We chew it up and put it on wounds, infections, etc. My daughter used it for a spider bite and it cleared it up quickly.