antique butter churns

goatilocks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My local craigslist has a few antique butter churns listed, 1 wooden barrel type and 3 glass jar types. Im waiting for a response, but I figure they are out of my price range. My big question is, they look in good condition so Im assuming they are usable. Which type would you prefer, glass or wood barrel type and why? One with metal paddle or wood?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If you look at the butter churns on e bay it will give you a good idea what they should sell for. The antique Daisy churns are very expensive. Glass with wood paddles. Check the prices and if the ones you have found are cheap snatch one up.

good luck.

g

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just use a mason jar and hand it to DH and say shake this for me :lol:

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A Mason jar with a clean marble in it is what we used when I was a kid. :p

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There's always lots of the glass ones with the wooden paddles at local antique malls around here, but often the wooden paddles are in bad shape because our climate is so arid so those would need to be replaced. I've toyed with a few over the years and they seem to have good action so I'm sure they would work well.

We have access to excellent butter, but when I've made butter with my Girl Guides (same as US Girl Scouts) we've just used baby food jars--they shake, then plop the lump of butter out to wash and squeeze in a collander in the sink while they wash out their jars, then take the butter home in the clean and dry jars. It does make for a line-up at the sink, but we usually do it on "heritage home skills" night when we have several stations going: jam-making (we do freezer jam with the Guides because it's faster), knitting/corking/crocheting, patchwork quilting etc.

goatilocks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well, he was asking $75 for the Dazey. He says it in good shape, no cracks or chips in the glass. Told him that was out of my price range and then he said he would take $60 for it. E bay has the one he has for about $40 and up. Its their #4 football style. Im thinking I might atleast go see it in person if he's not too far from me. Heres the link if anybody wants to give me thier opinion please! http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/atq/2669637576.html