ants--the small ones

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I only use DE for helping control mites, but eprinex is more effective. I'm not sure if mites are squishy or crunchy. I used to have a small carpenter ant problem but the chickens took care of it. Some of the girls absolutely love ants.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Copper will repel fire ants.

As for DE - I'm not convinced enough of its benefits either. Too much conflicting information out there, and with the lung warnings, I'm not willing to risk using it around myself or my animals.

We've had luck with Cheyenne pepper and the ants. Just be careful because of course it will stain.

Fleas can be repelled with black walnuts leaves and branches. Of course, making sure you don't get infested is the first step. They are mostly beneficial at repelling rather than "curing."

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Eucalyptus helps with fleas. I planted some tiny little plants two years ago. They are growing well and maybe I can snip some branches off this fall. I'm hoping maybe they will help with mites as well and will put them in the nest boxes. My issue is the little thief birds who keep bringing the dang things in.

Mom used to sprinkle Tide laundry soap in a line on the floor when we had severe ant issues. They wouldn't cross over it and apparently would eat it. There were always a lot of dead ants on the edge of it.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just purchased a product from Azure Standard called SaferGro Ant Out it is made with clove oil and works great plus the smell is yummy. I have also used Seventh Generation citrus cleaner for ants and have had great success and I love the orange scent too. You could probably make something similar. My husbands grandmother always used cleanser inside and out.

Suzannah

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have an occasional (that's every couple of years) surge of "sugar ants" around the windows, especially in the kitchen. I spray them with Windex with ammonia (perhaps just ammonia would work) - then wipe it up. It kills them immediately and apparently once you've blasted the little groups that invade over a few days' time they quit coming in. I won't use the usual bug sprays in my house or yard - windex with ammonia killed any bug I've sprayed and it's always handy in the closet bathroom or under the kitchen sink. Borax powder kept them out too but it was rough on the woodwork. Most surfaces in my house tolerate ammonia/windex well.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mom used to sprinkle Tide laundry soap in a line on the floor when we had severe ant issues. They wouldn't cross over it and apparently would eat it. There were always a lot of dead ants on the edge of it.
And we wash our clothes in Tide....... :lol:

Daffodils At The Sea

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've had good luck with boric acid powder (it's not borax) and sprinkling it along the edge of wherever their trail is, a small pile where they enter the wall. It does take a few days, but the last time I used it was a good year ago and they haven't been back.

Baymule, oh my goodness! Yeah, when you think about it....:)