Any basket makers among us?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I agree, although learning from a kit and with purchased supplies may be a quicker way to better results, I want to play with it without investment. Ready-made baskets are pretty cheap on sale and at tag sales, but I just really want the ss knowledge and the enjoyment of doing something for nothing, which I get a huge kick out of, no matter where my finances happen to be at the moment!

So, yes, please, start a basic basket and take pictures, people will add helpful tips, and a bunch of us will learn along the way! I, for one, will appreciate it immensely! :D

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okay dear SSers, I have toooo much going on right now to get that basket started. I did get to gather some of the grass I talked about, still not sure what kind it is. The stems are pretty fragile, so I don't think they will work for the type I made long ago. Those were made out of a thick leaved, wide bladed grass that grew in the swampy areas of granny's farm, near the Big Black river swamp if you're familiar with MS.
Maybe they would work with a coiled basket.
So, yeah, just an update to let ya know I haven't forgotten, just had to put it on the backburner for a minute.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've made several baskets after taking some classes. Now I have a lot of supplies in my basement that have been just waiting and waiting to be used.

Love your baskets, Zen. I've been looking for a good egg traditional egg basket pattern that would be easy to follow. They look so challenging.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Oh, how timely! I spent last weekend at a basket making class. The guy taught a Nantucket pencil basket, and a Cape Cod basket with a lid. I really want to make more of the Cape Cod one for Christmas. (yeh- in my spare time :p). I think I am hooked.

Where can I get supplies? (considering I am a total beginner and don't even know what I am asking about?)

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
valmom said:
Where can I get supplies? (considering I am a total beginner and don't even know what I am asking about?)
Lovely!!!

I should sell off my stock since I'm not getting around to much crafting these days.

I got mine from http://www.royalwoodltd.com and was very happy with them. My basket making teacher recommended them.

Enjoy!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
valmom--those are beauts! Nice tight weaving on the Nantucket! My grandpa sent me a book full of Nantucket patterns. I would really like to get some excellent forms and make up a few this winter. Talk about practical and able to bear loads!

I buy my supplies through Gratiot Lake Basketry. You can order online or by phone. Their on-phone help is phenomenal. I've called with very vague questions and the woman has always patiently guided me through the process.

Aren't they fun? And what a practical end result, too. I enjoyed designing a bike basket this spring and led my aunt, cousin and their friends through weaving it. It was perfect for collecting wild asparagus all through the ditches :)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I made a basket one time from a kit. It turned out really well and I really liked doing it, but I am so involved with other projects I never tried it again. Maybe someday.

Im4dabirds

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, new to posting here but I love baskets! The ones posted are beautiful! I need an egg basket!

I've done pine needle rims and some grass weaving on the rims of my gourds, but I'd love to learn to do total baskets. I'm certainly not great at it, but pine needles are easy to find here. Don't have the very long ones but I can easily gather plenty of 10-12" ones. I also love waxed linen coiling, although it is pretty slow going.

I did take a class on twisting grasses for basketmaking and learned I can use a lot of my plants and those gathered near me. Daylily, iris, lots of grasses and reeds. There are even some that use kudzu vines (stripped as they're gathered so you don't bring the stuff home to grow in your yard!). Might have to try that one.

I'll definitely be watching this thread for ideas.