Any experience with LED Lanterns (long-lasting room light)?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has bought a long-service LED room (or outdoor) lantern, such as this one:
http://www.landfallnavigation.com/10daylantern.html

I'm not stuck, at this point, on any particular brand names or models. That info could be good, but this seems to be a new question here at SS, and the discussion might benefit at this point from generic answers, too.

What do you know?

But if you wanna get specific... If you've bought one, which one did you choose? Have you ever put it to the test in real life, in any way?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I have two of them. (One is battery operated one is hand crank operated). I do not like either one of them b/c they aren't very bright. It makes night time chores very difficult and even dangerous out here in the dark forest. (It gets almost pitch black by 5:00-30 up here this time of year.)

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I have two of them. (One is battery operated one is hand crank operated). I do not like either one of them b/c they aren't very bright. It makes night time chores very difficult and even dangerous out here in the dark forest. (It gets almost pitch black by 5:00-30 up here this time of year.)
Okay. Well, outdoors absorbs a lot of light - takes a lot of light to illuminate an outdoor area of any real size. But how do your lanterns work out for indoor room light?

Also, the model I gave a link for has at least low and high settings. Makes me wonder if the high setting would provide enough light to get by... indoors in, say, a living room. ??

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Well, we have used them indoors (lots of windy power outages here) and I still don't really like them. The light is blueish and not very bright, even though it has low med and high settings. I did like our large "spot light" led flash light though. The one we had (daughter lost it at a camp out) sat on the table and you could sorta adjust the spot light. I don't remember what brand name it was though, got it at Lowes.

I also like our regular led flash lights.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There's this one, too.
http://http//www.amazon.com/d-light-S10-Solar-LED-Lantern/product-reviews/B004B924OG/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
The reviews seem to express big approval. It's solar-recharge, but is not advertised to give nearly as lengthy a light at one stretch as the one I posted the original link for.

The D-lite one charges during day, for use in the evening & night. That sounds good, but... I have no idea how well it might/might-not charge during the cloudy, short-day winter months.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Every time I go into Lee Valley Tools I look at their similar looking dynamo led lantern , but it hasn't been in the budget yet. We do have their dynamo led flashlights and they work a treat--very bright but they are just flashlights so more of a point-source light than a lantern :)

Curious why you'd want a battery powered lantern to light a room? (We want one for camping.)

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
moolie said:
Curious why you'd want a battery powered lantern to light a room? (We want one for camping.)
I live in the mountains, and we have power-line breaks here due, usually, either to wind or snow loads causing one or more trees to fall onto the lines. Result: power can be out for anywhere from three hours to a day at a time. We had a land slide some years ago, and power was out for three or four days, though it was summer - the effect would have been worse in winter.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
moolie said:
I live in the mountains, and we have power-line breaks here due, usually, either to wind or snow loads causing one or more trees to fall onto the lines. Result: power can be out for anywhere from three hours to a day at a time. We had a land slide some years ago, and power was out for three or four days, though it was summer - the effect would have been worse in winter.
Ah, thanks. Been there. As campers we're pretty good at doing without power etc.

Never would have thought of an led lantern for power outage though (but that's another great use when we get ours!). We usually light candles for what light we need when the power goes out, and we recently got an oil lamp--we're hooked and will be picking up more as we are able :)

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
moolie said:
Joel_BC said:
moolie said:
Ah, thanks. Been there. As campers we're pretty good at doing without power etc.

Never would have thought of an led lantern for power outage though (but that's another great use when we get ours!). We usually light candles for what light we need when the power goes out, and we recently got an oil lamp--we're hooked and will be picking up more as we are able :)
Try to find a Adladin brand oil lamp they have a tube wick that heats a mantle for a very bright white light, brighter than a 60w but not as bright as a 100w bulb they don't need to be pumped like the old mantle lights that burned white gas and therefore won't explode like the pumped lights did once in a while. Mantle lamps that are propane fuled are bright too.
this is the one I want from lee valley http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=66741&cat=2,40725,45454,66741 but it is hard to justify since I have one of their older dyanmo Lanterns and 4 of their flash lightsThat served me well whem we were hit by a tornado this spring. If you go to the site take a look at their led light powered by a candle, For outdoor use only. I don't understand it but it takes heat from the candle to produce electricity that lights the leds. Pricy but I wonder if it could be rigged to take heat from a wood fire to produce electric power [look under what is new in the garden section. Lee valley is my favorite catalog they have stuff made in China for the cheap and fine quality tools if you are willing to pay for quality.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I lived with oil lamps (along with a small wood heater, and a wood cookstove) in a log cabin for several years. I gained a lot in my sense of adaptability during that time. I had both the standard kerosene lamp, and the "mantle" (Alladin) type of kerosene lamp - the latter being much brighter. The mantles are extremely delicate, so I was having to replace them every few monts (sometimes, every few weeks)... a nuisance. In a way, my feeling is 'been there, done that'. :barnie

In our electrically serviced house, we keep both candles and a couple kerosene lamps, as well as flashlights, for power outages. But I'm quite open to an LED subtitute for the most of the candles - and certainly for the oil lamps - if a good, reasonably bright substitute is available at an affordable price.