Any fellow sauerkrauters here?

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Started a 5lb. batch of sauerkraut last month. Last time I had checked it the brine was starting to change color but it still tasted like salty cabbage. Checked it yesterday at about the 4 1/2 week mark. The brine is definitely sauerkraut colored. Most of the cabbage still looks like cabbage but it is starting to have a mild sauerkraut flavor instead of tasting like salty cabbage.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Started a 5lb. batch of sauerkraut last month. Last time I had checked it the brine was starting to change color but it still tasted like salty cabbage. Checked it yesterday at about the 4 1'2 week mark. The brine is definitely sauerkraut colored. Most of the cabbage still looks like cabbage but it is starting to have a mild sauerkraut flavor instead of tasting like salty cabbage.
It only gets better with age 😉

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
2 jars of carrots, 2 jars of beets with onions, one mustard seed/ dill cabbage and one caraway onion cabbage,
5449E04C-0B3E-4F98-AB35-8E151C459526.jpeg

the less full cabbage jar I was able to repack in a 2QT jar,, that one is the Dutch Flat Head cabbage,, it didnt have as much moisture as the regular green cabbage.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Started a 5lb. batch of sauerkraut last month. Last time I had checked it the brine was starting to change color but it still tasted like salty cabbage. Checked it yesterday at about the 4 1/2 week mark. The brine is definitely sauerkraut colored. Most of the cabbage still looks like cabbage but it is starting to have a mild sauerkraut flavor instead of tasting like salty cabbage.
You must have a nice cool spot to keep you kraut

Latest posts