Any fellow sauerkrauters here?

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If I am making a brine to ferment veg that doesn't contain enough water on its own I mix
1 cup of non chlorinated water to 1 table spoon sea salt

a lot of recipes have the salt by weight due to all salt weighs up different a table spoon of regular table salt is not the same amount as a table spoon of red sea salt

I weighed it out; 2 table spoons of red sea salt is = to 1oz

white sea salt weighs different

So for the ginger I peeled; sliced very thin ; packed it in to the appropriate sized jar and covered with a pre mixed brine; packed/ pushed out all the air pockets ; put a weights in to keep the veg under the brine; and covered with my new masontop vented cover or if I didnt have those I would have used 3 layers thick of cheese cloth and a upside down cup saucer on top of the jar

I bought off amazon some glass weights -

Screenshot 2023-01-02 073143.png

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have scrubbed a just right sized rock and put it in a ziplock and used that
I have used a zip lock filled with more of the brine. It's usually enough to keep everything below the water level, and if the zip lock springs a leak the escaping brine won't change the brine ratio in the jar.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Picture of my first ferment attempt at 1 lb carrots, 2 lbs beets and 2 lbs cabbage all shredded weight. I peeled the carrots and beets with a potato peeler, then shredded them. So I guess this would be a raw ferment, since I didn't cook any of the ingredients.

First taste test after skimming, there was scum to skim. it's got a good taste and the carrots and beets are crunchy. Still need more time to ferment, it's still a little to salty. The ferment seems to be rolling along nicely. Interested to see how this experiment turns out. If it's good I'll post the recipe.
IMG_20230104_192208088.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Picture of my first ferment attempt at 1 lb carrots, 2 lbs beets and 2 lbs cabbage all shredded weight. I peeled the carrots and beets with a potato peeler, then shredded them. So I guess this would be a raw ferment, since I didn't cook any of the ingredients.

First taste test after skimming, there was scum to skim. it's got a good taste and the carrots and beets are crunchy. Still need more time to ferment, it's still a little to salty. The ferment seems to be rolling along nicely. Interested to see how this experiment turns out. If it's good I'll post the recipe.
View attachment 22070

Looks like your granddaughters need to get those nails painted again. 😀

I wish the wife could tolerate cabbage. Not worth it to do the ferment thing just for me

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Looks like your granddaughters need to get those nails painted again. 😀

I wish the wife could tolerate cabbage. Not worth it to do the ferment thing just for me
Ha... She only painted my left hand fingernails. I have acetone, could remove in a few seconds, but I'm not going too. The nail polish will wear off eventually, already starting to wear off. Besides, having fingernails painted by granddaughter is alright by me.
IMG_20230105_114630448.jpg

I would be highly surprised if my wife will eat this experiment. But I know most of my boys will. So this one gallon test will be consumed. Taste test was good and I can envision this would be good on sausage and hot dogs.

I will eat it for the health benefits alone. I try and eat naturally fermented foods a few times a week. The probiotics are great for my gut and helps with "pot belly"

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Milks...kefir, yogurt, etc. Most ferments we're accidents and/or results of attempts to hold food without refrigeration. Just that many enzymes are good ones. Bedouin tribes used sheep and camel milk.

Pickling, fermenting, salting, smoking, dehydrating -- none are new, just being rediscovered for their worth. My grandparents were doing this over 100+ yrs ago. Yeah, that long.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I put my fermented cabbage, beets and carrots in pint jars and topped off with new brine (2 cups spring water, 1 Tablespoon pickling salt). The 5 lbs made 7 pints. I didn't can it, just screwed the lids on to keep it alive.
IMG_20230115_203245447~3.jpg

It's not bad actually, I eat what was left over in the 1 gallon crock and I'm still alive 😁 It's heavy on the beet and sauerkraut flavor, in that order. I can't taste the carrots. This is OK with me because I like beets. But I would like to taste the carrots.

Thinking maybe 2 lbs cored & shredded cabbage, 2 lbs peeled and shredded carrots and 1 lb peeled and shredded beets next time.

IDK still experimenting...

I'm not ready to post the recipe just yet.

Just in case you're interested, No I haven't taken my fingernail polish off either. But it is wearing off some.
IMG_20230115_210106276.jpg

Last edited: