Any good self-sufficiency/homesteading books?

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend some good self-sufficiency/homesteading (or semi-homesteading) type books? I think there are a lot out there, but I'd love to here some people's suggestions. Thanks!

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
There is one book that I love to read by Eric Sloane, called Sketches of America Past. Its not so much a guide, but talks about a family and in particular their boy who lived in 1805. The book is divided into thirds, and the second 3rd talks about the tools used and how to make them. The final third talks about all the different woods used for different tools or for building (floors, doors, walls, wheels, etc). Peppered throughout the story of the boy (its not long, covers only one year of his life) is references on how the people of this time worked or made different things...there is even a couple of recipes if I'm not mistaken!!

A couple of other books I like to reference are published by The Old Farmer's Almanac Home Library. One is Traditional Home Remedies, and the other is Home Wisdom.

I know there is one by Reader's Digest, and for the life of me can't think of the title!! LOL I'm sure someone here has it, though. Hope this helps!

werblessd1s

Power Conserver
Reaction score
There is a book called, The Self-Sufficient Life And How To Live It, by John Seymour. It costs $38, that's why I haven't bought it yet, LOL. The www.mcmurrayhatchery.com has lots of books on preserving &country living. You can save a lot of money by buying them used off Ebay or Amazon.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
FWIW, our library has that book by Seymour and honestly I was pretty underwhelmed. It skates over little bits of information that aren't really enough IMO to do much with. Perhaps better to read more books that go into more depth on the various sorts of topics. JMHO,

Pat

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
"The Self-Reliant Homestead" by Charles Sanders ISBN 1-58080-114-5
It covers a lot of different things you should consider when starting out. It is only about 300 pages, so not a 'the only book you need' type.
See if your library can get a copy for you to read.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Maybe there isn't a 'one and only' book out there, but perhaps book like Mr. Seymour's are a good place to start when you are just getting into things. JMHO

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Pioneergirl
I agree with you. I read so many types of these books, some helped, some didn't, some have tons of info but had only a few great pointers etc. in them. I think reading an assortment would be ideal to get all the good information that is out there. I couldn't pick just one book either to mention. Too numerous and too many good topics of books out there.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I really like Back to Basics, Reader's Digest. Has a ton of useful info packed into one book! I was amazed at the illustrations and easy to follow instructions.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Beekissed~~~THAT is the one I was thinking of! DUH, lol which obviously means I don't have it :lol: I DO need to get me a copy.....

*makes note to self...then writes it down cause she'll forget! :hu

Oh, and yes FarmerChic....I have LOTS of books around here that pertain to so many things! A library shant consist of one book!! One might elaborate on one topic, but be scant in another, to which you turn to a different book for more info...next thing ya know, you've got 6 books spread out on the table...rofl

Seriously, I agree, I love books and love to read, so I think having many to reference only enriches the mind (and soul! :) )

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Magazine, not a book (although they might publish one)
Mother Earth News.
We get them from the library. Good ideas for farming, chickens, energy-efficiency, etc.