Any good self-sufficiency/homesteading books?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you sound like quite the reader pioneergirl. I used to be but seemed to not have enough time anymore for serious reading :(

like 6 books spread out researching farming ideas and such.....funny we have to read about how to get back to basics...LOL...but the good old tricks of yesteryear are not around, we have to search them down in books..HA HA

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Oh I love to read, especially if it is learning something new with SS. Yes, it is sad we have to read about how to get back to our roots :rolleyes:

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
To be honest, I think the letters in Countryside magazine are worth more than most books :) That is not a knock on books (I am a major book-a-holic and reader!), it is praise of Countryside <g>

Pat

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
werblessd1s said:
There is a book called, The Self-Sufficient Life And How To Live It, by John Seymour. It costs $38, that's why I haven't bought it yet, LOL. The www.mcmurrayhatchery.com has lots of books on preserving &country living. You can save a lot of money by buying them used off Ebay or Amazon.
i got this from the library, actually where i got started thinking about chickens. its a great book, i recommend it. I want to buy it, Ive taken it out 3 times. Much cheaper on Amazon.com. As said, its not an "all you need" kind of book but gets you thinking and the basic ideas so you can look for more if your interested.