Any ideas on what to do with this cement?

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
These are huge pieces of cement from a home renovation we did. The contractor left our job and left these blocks behind. I took these pics with the chickens to give you an idea of how big they are. The largest piece is about 4'x5'. The only way I know to break them up would be a jack-hammer but would have to rent one. Any other way to break them up? Any ideas how to reuse or recycle them? If I knew a way to get them in small enough peices I sure could use some gravel in my driveway :/
IMG_3178.jpg

IMG_3179-1.jpg

IMG_3180.jpg

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
The big one would be great to put under a water trough. Or can you use it for a base for bee hives, chicken coop, pig hut, etc?

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Throwing out ideas....build a fire pit, get some goats who'll use these as toys, make them into steps for the birds, use the smaller peices as borders for gardens....hmmm....I'll try to think of more.

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I though of using them for a firepit. I just don't know how to break them. Jackhammer?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
For the big one, the ideal thing would be to think of some way to use it where it is. Base for a hard-liner pond or brick bbq (tho I dunno with that tree right there) or just a pad to set a nice bench on?

If you have to break it up, yes a jackhammer is the best way, however they MAY be thin enough you could do it with a hammerdrill drilling a buncha holes to create a 'dotted line'. Although you'd probably use up a bit or two and so it might be the same cost in the end to just rent the jackhammer :p

Have you tried levering up that big slab to see how moveable it might be on rollers? Worth a try anyhow.

The others are good sizes to set waterers or water troughs on, or to use as stepping stones in a muddy area. If you had more of them I'd say another good use is to digproof a run fence by laying them apron-style on the outside of ti but if those are all you have then it wouldn't go far. If you think you might build another coop or other structure, they would make reasonable blocks to put the 'legs' up on to keep them from rotting.

Probably lots of other things too, but that's what comes to mind offhand.

Pat, who had enough broken-up concrete slab rubble in a pile here (from when we bought the place) to do a 18" wide digproofing barrier along approximately 300' of sheep paddock fencing but sadly that used it all up and now I wish I had more :p

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Pat - go scrounging for "urbanite!" (fancy name for re-claimed concrete) You can find it at demo sites, and just look around - there is a HUGE lot of it a couple miles from my house - whoever the property owner is there uses it as a dump site for stuff like that, and there's literally acres of concrete and used building supplies. If I ever get to build my dream bale-cob cottage, I plan to track down the owner and ask permission to go scrounging to get pieces for a rubble foundation.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Oh yes, I know where i could *get* some, in fact my next door neighbor has a big ol' pile that I am pretty certain they could be talked out of as long as I did the labor :p -- it's just that I have only a stationwagon and am middle-aged and lazy, and have not thus far gotten desperate enough to actually FORAGE for the stuff.

It sure is useful to have around though! Makes great garden edging to retain a bed on a slight hill, and for stone-lookin' steps, and a decent looking decorative dry wall, as well :)

Pat

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks Pat. I may have to go the jackhammer route (by me I mean DH). I would like to be able to use it where it lays however that tree its next to is the perfect place for our hammock in the summer. It's such a drab trying to soak up the day on a hammock with a big ol' ugly block! :/

I'm thinking if I wait long enough they will sink into the earth!:lol:

Bethanial- Where do people get this "urbanite"? I'm wondering if a company would want this concrete to recycle into urbanite?? Maybe someone would come get it?

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LL - it's just something you go scrounging for :idunno I heard about it in doing research for the aforementioned dream bale-cob cottage. Typically, people in the natural building realm want to do as much as possible with all natural building materials, but stone (for foundation) is not readily accessibly everywhere, so somebody came up with the bright idea to save concrete from going into the landfill. Google reclaimed concrete or urbanite (dunno where the name came from) to find out more info. Although, even in my itty-bitty town and living very rural, once you start looking for it, you can find it quite readily.

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LovinLife said:
Thanks Pat. I may have to go the jackhammer route (by me I mean DH). I would like to be able to use it where it lays however that tree its next to is the perfect place for our hammock in the summer. It's such a drab trying to soak up the day on a hammock with a big ol' ugly block! :/

I'm thinking if I wait long enough they will sink into the earth!:lol:

Bethanial- Where do people get this "urbanite"? I'm wondering if a company would want this concrete to recycle into urbanite?? Maybe someone would come get it?
Hi LL. If you are going to have to rent a jackhammer to bust up that concrete be advised that often concrete has reinforcing wire running through it. You may find it easier to rent a concrete saw and cut it into manageable sections. The saw won't be as difficult to use (a jackhammer can beat you up pretty good) and you will be left with pieces that have a nice smooth edge so that you can reuse the blocks.

Latest posts