Any ideas what to do for non stop morning sickness?

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Ginger often helps. REAL ACTUAL ginger, not "ginger ale" that is artificially flavored. I do not know what I would have done during my pregnancies without candied ginger and ginger tea. I nibbled crystallized ginger slices almost constantly, like at 20 min intervals all day, just a teeny bit at a time. There is also a candy called "Gin-gins" that I found helpful, you could try googling.

The main thing is to keep going with the fluids so as not to get (or anyhow stay) dehydrated. Try ginger tea, either warm, or cool/iced (with or without a little sugar).

If the prenatal vitamins are making her barf, the usual advice (not just from Drs but also from midwives) is to skip 'em, or switch to a childrens vitamin WITHOUT IRON (iron supplements can increase nausea).

Vitamins and total nutrients is not a big deal for the fetus at this stage of development, it requires very very little and can easily snitch what little it needs from the mother's body as long as she is in "reasonable" shape i.e. not needing to be hospitalized. So the main concern at this stage is just keeping HER body from getting too catastrophically out of whack.

I found that I did best eating whatever I thought I could eat. Sometimes it was saltines or other bland crackers (even if they did not all stay eaten); but if I got a hankering for an Arby's Chicken Cordon Blue Sandwich then by gum I went and GOT one and ate it, and funnily enough those peculiar whims often did stay put in my tummy. So it is worth trying that, if she has any moments of interest in food.

One other thing: this will sound weird, but: when I got totally tired of hurling all the time, or feeling like it, I tried something you can use on colicky horses. You sort of firmly (but not harshly) grasp their ears, thumb on the inside and fingers on the outside, at the base, and stroke outwards to the tip, repeatedly. Often helps soothe colicky horses. My version was to firmly grasp (almost pinch) the "upper corner" of my ear (so to speak) and pull diagonally up and backwards. You only get less than an inch or so to work with on the human ear, but done repeatedly, I found it often quite helpful. For some reason it works best when done on my left ear rather than the right or both :p I am by no means guaranteeing results, but having recommended it to a few others over the years and been told it was helpful, I offer it as something to try at least.

Best of luck to her, hopefully it will pass once the first few months are over (although it didn't in my first pregnancy),

Pat

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh man, I feel for her. I had the same thing 24/7 for months with all 3 of mine and lost 10 or more pounds in the first couple months every time. It was so miserable. :hugs to her.
I tried everything I could find and nothing worked. One thing I have learned about since then is the need for magnesium - I use a transdermal oil which is the best method for absorbtion.
If there is anything she can eat, get it. Don't worry too much about the nutritional factor right now. She needs calories and fluids. For awhile I could only eat food that was brought to me from outside the house (weird, I know) Nothing could be prepared in my kitchen. I was able to eat salted cashews and went through cans - I figure it was the magnesium content and the salt.
Can she drink an electrolyte solution or something like Emergen-C? I have heard lemon flavored drinks can be tolerable for some.
Oh- my doc recommended Unisom and a B6 tablet at bedtime. It at least helped me sleep through the nausea.
I'll look through some more info I have tonight for ya.

edit:
Red Raspberry leaf tea, and B vitamins
There was another tea I saw recommended on another "natural" type forum, made by Traditional Medicinals - simply called Pregnancy Tea

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I was gonna say ginger but pat beat me to it :D

I just made a batch of sugar-free crystalized ginger and it is very good!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I am going to print this out for her. SO and I also thought of Emergen-C. She is just so depleted and I think she needs some sort of energy boost. If she can keep the Emergen-C down, it might give her that boost.

I am going to TJ's tomorrow and I'll look to see if they have ginger stuff. I have ginger root here and can do something with that.

You guys are great! Thanks for the suggestions and the support :love

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I hope she finds something that helps. But if not, it *should* get better in a few weeks. At least I hope it does for her sake.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My midwife had me mixing Carnation Instant Breakfast with ice cream. :) I lived on that for months!

I haven't met anyone yet that could take - or keep down - a nasty prenatal vitamin. There are other options!