Any know if you can dehydrate radishes??? freeze???

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Found this. Hope it helps.

Choosing and Freezing Radishes

Choose smooth, crisp, well-formed radishes, without black spots. A medium-sized radish is approximately 1-inch diameter and should be plump, round, firm, and of a good, red color. Avoid very large or flabby radishes with yellow or decayed tops (a sign of overmaturity). The radish greens should appear fresh and have a bright green color. The radishes should be scrubbed and washed with cold water and the tops and bottoms should be trimmed. Do not peel the prepared radish; leave the skin intact. It is important to know that frozen radishes have a different texture from fresh radishes due to the fact that radishes are high in water content. Therefore, it is important to cut them into smaller pieces before freezing them. If the radishes are kept whole and frozen, the hard outer skin will split open and cause more textural defects. Blanching needs to be done on radishes. Blanching the cut pieces in boiling water for 2-3 minutes should be sufficient to slow down enzymatic reactions in the plant tissue and keep the color vibrant. After blanching, place the vegetable in ice cold water and drain well. Place in appropriate freezer bag and place in freezer.
Blanching Procedures

* Scrub in cold water and trim the tops and bottoms. Do not peel, but dice into smaller pieces.
* Blanch for 2-3 minutes.
* Place in ice cold water; drain.
* Place in appropriate plastic bag; freeze

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Found this. Hope it helps.

Choosing and Freezing Radishes

Choose smooth, crisp, well-formed radishes, without black spots. A medium-sized radish is approximately 1-inch diameter and should be plump, round, firm, and of a good, red color. Avoid very large or flabby radishes with yellow or decayed tops (a sign of overmaturity). The radish greens should appear fresh and have a bright green color. The radishes should be scrubbed and washed with cold water and the tops and bottoms should be trimmed. Do not peel the prepared radish; leave the skin intact. It is important to know that frozen radishes have a different texture from fresh radishes due to the fact that radishes are high in water content. Therefore, it is important to cut them into smaller pieces before freezing them. If the radishes are kept whole and frozen, the hard outer skin will split open and cause more textural defects. Blanching needs to be done on radishes. Blanching the cut pieces in boiling water for 2-3 minutes should be sufficient to slow down enzymatic reactions in the plant tissue and keep the color vibrant. After blanching, place the vegetable in ice cold water and drain well. Place in appropriate freezer bag and place in freezer.
Blanching Procedures

* Scrub in cold water and trim the tops and bottoms. Do not peel, but dice into smaller pieces.
* Blanch for 2-3 minutes.
* Place in ice cold water; drain.
* Place in appropriate plastic bag; freeze
I love instructions like this; they tell you in great detail HOW to do something, but don't actually indicate what you can do with the finished product. IMO radishes are important, not because of their nutritional content (they don't have much, being mostly water) but for their texture - that *crack* when you bite into them, as well as the peppery taste. Possibly the peppery taste will still be there after freezing; the crisp bite will not be. Freezing will rupture cells, and the crispness will be gone. I know there are recipes for cooked radishes; perhaps frozen radishes will work in such recipes. Otherwise, I can't really think what one might do with a limp radish. Personally, if I had a glut of radishes, I would be inclined to use them fresh in any way I could, and look forward to next year's harvest so as to do it again. If there were still loads left over I might lacto ferment them like Sauerkraut, or Sauerrueben.

Liz Demag

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
great recipe! I didn't know what to do with my radishes either! Thanks for posting that!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I only marginally liked radishes for years, then I discovered that they are simply wonderful cooked!

Cooking them reduces a bit of the heat and sweetens them. My favorite recipe is to cream them much the same way as you would peas.

Radish tops are also wonderful cooked like spinach and other pot greens.

I am sure you could use frozen radishes like that. ;)