Any one else HATE their pressure caner???

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I use a slice of green tomato at the top of each jar of corn.....keeps the correct color and crispness of the corn.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I don't use a pressure canner and use my water bath for everything. It turns out great! I only do any of it for 90 min., so no three hours for me. I would do it for 90 min. in a pressure canner anyway, so this is no loss of time for me.

The deer meat I did this year was great and so much better than pressure canned deer meat! I'll be doing that again this year....gave that pressure canner back to the original owner! ;)

Yes, yes....I know about the dangers....but I don't care. The old Mennonite ladies that told me about this have been doing it all their lives and lives to tell about it. :D
I agree with you Bee on the water bath thing. My family GGgrandmother , Grandmother and mother all done the water bath and we all lived to tell about it. To me, its more about being clean. I use my pressure canner because it does save time. I go by the old Ball blue books and their "recomended" time for hot water bath and 3 hours is it for green beans. Too much time for me to deal with hot water boiling in the kitchen. There is nothing wrong with it, but I like to "get er' done!". I don't remember how long they recomend for corn in the hot water bath,...I think it was longer than the beans.

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
I have a love/hate relationship with my pressure canner, but I mostly hate how my jars all come out coated in a film of minerals. We have REALLY hard water, and the steam really gets the jars. I know that is the water's fault, but I blame the pressure canner.

Also, I wish I had a smaller canner. Mine fits 8 pints single layered. I usually only have 1-3 pints to can at a time (small garden) and I get mad at spending all afternoon canning 2 jars of something. I think if I had a smaller canner it would get up to pressure and cool down faster.

My dragon of a MIL gave me my pressure canner, so I started out with negative feelings towards it anyway.

angelib1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I would like to more about canning vegies and meat in a water bath. I bought a pressure canner at a thrift store, and took it to the true valuestore , they put new seals and vent thingys in it and told me it's ready to use. However I have been staring at it for months, too scared to death to use it.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I think I would be more scared of meat that wasn't pressure canned, but then I am a whiney old broad !

I love my pressure canner, but what I don't love is babysitting it. I work at home at a computer, so once it gets to pressure, I set a timer for five minutes, run in and do some work, and then check the pressure every five minutes for 75 to 90 minutes. It's a bit fussy, but I like to think I can multitask, even if I am only fooling myself !

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I only hate the sound of mine, we canned salmon for years while I was growing up. WE would salmon fish the entire month of October and then can it all. You can harvest 3 fish a day per person 3 of us fishing and my dad would not let us keep anything under 32 inches long. You do the math we never had a year where we ran out before the next October and had plenty to give away also. But the noise of that canner all night and all day long I will never be able to stand that again with out ear plugs.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
I think I would be more scared of meat that wasn't pressure canned, but then I am a whiney old broad !

I love my pressure canner, but what I don't love is babysitting it. I work at home at a computer, so once it gets to pressure, I set a timer for five minutes, run in and do some work, and then check the pressure every five minutes for 75 to 90 minutes. It's a bit fussy, but I like to think I can multitask, even if I am only fooling myself !
Me, too, while I do my transcription :) I hadn't used mine for years until last year, when I discovered that my kids loved canned green beans. So, green beans it is. Hope to do venison again this year.

Don't be scared! Just follow the directions exactly. I am also more concerned about bad food than the canner. I will never forget my introduction to botulism poisoning in an epidemiology class in college. Yikes!

OTOH, I am also SO glad for my very quick, low-water and electricity usage steam canner for all the acidic foods I can :D

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Yeah, transcription...when there's work ! Not been too great lately. Very motivating to become more self sufficient.

I just cooked 25 chicken breasts which are now cooled and I am ready to can them. It's times like this that I think about all the money I am saving, and that i am preparing food for months and months to come, when who knows what has happened. I really,r eally am glad I spent the money and got the bigger canner (Presto 23 quart). I have never run less than a full load, and double deckers on pints.

People think I am nuts, and that's fine with me.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I LOVE my pressure canner. I wish I had a bigger one tho. It takes me forever to get my canning done. My mother always used just the water bath canner....but, I do remember her haveing to throw away several jars every year. I just cant take that chance. We use every little bit I can grow here, and especially this year, being this summer has been AWFULL!!

Tinychicken

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Add me to the transcriptionists who work from home.

I got my first pressure canner this year and I love it. No problems at all. I can't multi-task, though. I leave the canning for after work.

Yu can also count me as one of the wary ones who uses a pressure canner for low acid veggies and meats. Botulism scares the heck out of me!