any one ever used this product?

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was put on a non toxic pig and poultry wormer called Pig Swig by La Gear. My Co-Op rep says he uses it with great results. I'm using it for my hen's. The 2 good things i found out about it is its supposed to be non-toxic and the egg quarantine time is 72 hours, which can be alot of egg saving compared to the 2-3 week for some wormer's. Just looking for feedback and spreading the word if anyone is interested.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Is worming your hens something you do often? I have little expierence with this and am just curious. g

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i never have before but i have never needed to before. I was out in the coop earlier and one of the hens pooped by me and it had worms in it so i guess its time. Ive kept a close eye out for such as this assuming it would have come earlier, i guess ive been lucky. I did some research and found that most wormers are pretty toxic and you have dispose of the eggs for a long time. I found 2 wormers that you could use and not be worried so much for the hens or your safety one is Vermex and the other is pig swig. So ill post the results when i get some.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I forgot to say earlier my rep said he worms every 6 months with the pig swig and also said when the hens stop laying for a few days like they are going into molt he will worm just because they are going to stop laying for a while anyway so why not.

attack-cat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You should check over on the chicken board. its a great place! www.backyardchickens.com

I found this for you also. Pumpkins are cheap right now! http://poultryone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2789
My hens have been destroying a large pumpkin for two days now and they love it! It makes for nasty orange poo though. All that is left when they are done is a very thin skin.

Sorry I can't be more help but I wish you the best!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
It's the same thing as the more widely available Wazine (active ingredient piperizine). Note that it kills only some kinds of worms, so it depends what you're worming *for*, just like with Wazine.

Pat

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
thanks attack cat but i don't do the byc site much any more. Pat how would a person know what kind of worms you're trying to eradicate short of digging through poop?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I talked to my vet about worming my chickens when I first got them. She said I need to be careful. Birds require a certain amount of worms.
OK don't go jumping on me. I am just repeating what she said. I told her I was feeding my chickens pumpkins about every three months to help with the worms as I had heard the seeds contained a natural wormer. I grow pumpkins just for my chickens. She said as long as I do that I should not have a problem. I have been doing this from the beginning. However, since you do have an existing problem I suggest you take a sample to your vet to determine what kind of worms your chickens have.
And digging through chicken poo is the only way to determine that.
Let us know what you decide and how it works out.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
firem3 said:
thanks attack cat but i don't do the byc site much any more.
Since you posted this over there before you posted it here, it would be worth (if you haven't already) checking in on the discussion of it over there. Speckledhen's posts in particular are informative.

Pat how would a person know what kind of worms you're trying to eradicate short of digging through poop?
Mainly by having a vet do a fecal (or buying a decent quality microscope and learning to do it yourself, but that's neither cheap nor easy). Also to some extent by symptoms, e.g. gapeworms have fairly distinctive symptoms not likely to be confused with other things. And, if you actually find worms in droppings (or in necropsies I suppose) you can try to identify whatcha see by suitable reading. Some sorts of worms are more distinctive i.e. easier to reliably identify than other sorts are. (Animals can have serious worm infestations, of certain sorts, without your seeing anyting in the droppings, though).

Basically though, Wazine and its arguably slightly more expensive cousin Pig Swig will only treat large roundworms, specifically (note that "large" there is not a description, it is part of the critter's name).

Anything else -- gapeworm, tapeworms, capillaria, strongyles, cecal worms, etc etc etc -- you'd need to use a different wormer for, as piperazine ain't gonna do it.

Just sayin',

Pat