any recipes for possums?

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
From The Wild Food Cookbook:

The meat of these slow-moving mammals tastes rather like pork and "possum, pone, and sweet potato" is held in high esteem by many in the South. Some like their possums really fat and even hold them in pens to fatten them up for a feast.

Others consider the fat "greasy" and dispose of as much as possible of it before cooking. Possum meat is not especially popular in the northern states.

It is no trouble to distinguish between young and old possums at the northern limit of their range. All possums old enough to have lived through a winter got their tail tips frozen off; only the youngsters have gracefully pointed tips on their waving prehensile tails.

Roast like pork.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've never tasted opossom or squirrel, but I have eaten cuy (guinea pig) which was a little bit like rabbit. If my husband wasn't allergic to rodents I would consider raising them for meat as they are easy to grow in small spaces.

S

sunsaver

Possum used to very popular in America. I like duck and coon, both of which are are very fatty, so i would probably like possum as well. Trap it and feed it corn meal for two weeks before killing it. Brine the meat over night, season with salt, pepper, garlic, parsley, and sage. Roast at 275 for 2 hours.

Martyg

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
My grandfather would put them in a pen for a week or two and feed them table scraps. Then he would clean and dress them, like you would a rabbit, and bake it, with sweet potatoes. I never tried it although I did eat rabbit, deer, and a neighbor made great squirrel chowder. I also had some great fried turtle, fresh clams, and frog legs when I was with that neighbor, at a friend's house. I was about 14 or so. I used to deer hunt though, and got pretty good at cooking deer.