Any recommendations for an ear infection?

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My 13 year old has an ear infection and I am reluctant to give her antibiotics for multiple reasons. One is you get rid of all the good flora too and I have been working very hard to build up her good flora and she is doing better now. The ping pong effect. It seems if you take antibiotics for one thing soon you will need it again for the same thing or for something else. I don't think antibiotics are as effective as they used to be. And I think doctors over prescribe antibiotics. I would really welcome any suggestions. Her ear is red and inflamed but her ear drum has not burst. It hurt more yesterday than today. She said it barely hurts now but she is having trouble hearing. The doctor said this is just temporary though. What would you do?

chandasue

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
When I had ear infections as a kid my mom would just clean our ears good with hydrogen peroxide and then make me sleep with pieces of cotton ball soaked in olive oil stuck in my ears.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Cut an onion in half and scrape some of the juice off with a spoon. 2 drops in affected ear. Once at night and again the next morning will do it. Just went through this again last week :)
I like the onion juice better than the garlic and oil because the oil gunks up the ear and seems to block it. THe onion juice doesn't. Have tried both however, and both will do the job. Garlic has to be soaked in oil for a few minutes to be effective though I think. Onion is faster