Any Restrictions on buying Anmo in your area?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Now in NC I have to sign and give an address to buy ammo even a box of 50 22shorts. There signs up on the wall stating limits on what they will sell you. I asked the man and he said ammo is in short supply so we [the store]are rationing it so every body can get some. We hear that hoarding is the cause of the supply problem" Has anybody else had this experience? please mention your State either way.... There is a chance that my local store is on the way out and can't resupply because his credit is shot. If it is happening other places it might be a gun control issue OR a true shortage. Mayby I shoulld have stocked up earlier. ~gd

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Haven't seen anything about limitations. I have heard that they haven't been able to keep up with stock for ammo though.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Haven't bought any ammo lately, so I don't know.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't believe there are any shortages in Missouri. About 2 to 3 years ago, folks were hoarding, but they must have gotten stocked up by now.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We're in western Washington state and haven't seen any rationing of ammo. Stores are fairly well stocked. We've bought a lot lately, but some has been at the gun show for good quality reloads at a good price. Hubby always checks prices when we got to Cabelas or any of the sports stores. I'm learning my new pistol so we bought a lot of .40 ammo for me to practice.

Arkantex

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I live in west texas and there is no shortage or limit here. We went to academy sporting goods the other day and were really supprised that they are carrying the "spam cans" of ammo that contain 500 rounds. They had it in 9mm, .40 cal, .45 cal, 7.62x39 and .223 There isn't any shortage around here. It might just be that store you went to. God knows I would hate to see the havoc that would insue if they tried that out here...

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I haven't bought ammo lately but work with several guys that do a lot of range shooting. No one has mentioned anything. One just purchased 9mm at Bass Pro last week. I am sure he would have mentioned it if something odd had happened. So I am guessing nothing strange in Mississippi yet. However, if memory serves me correctly about 3 years ago our local WalMart did what you are talking about. I was not there but my husband was furious when he came home. He did not buy anything, said they did not need his info to sell him a box of 22's. We went to local sporting goods store the next day to purchase the 22's. No name and address requirement there. We found it rather odd.

Flytyer24

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Depending on your state the laws can be different. Gun control laws are mostly restricted by state law. But also remember about 4 years ago when our presidante' was being elected there was a huge gun and ammo boom. Many people believed all the gun control he was preaching the first term wil come to pass now (if elected) that he doesn't have to worry about re-election. Before his first term gun stores by me had record sales... Maybe some of those people in NC???

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Actually, gun sales were at record highs last black friday, too, so that trend is continuing.

gd, The Other Half has not said anything about this, and we've bought ammo several times over the last few weeks, and he also is a member of a couple forums regarding guns, and hasn't heard a thing.

I'd be looking for a new supplier if I were you.