Any Tightwad Gazette fans?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
While the creator of the tightwad gazette , Amy Dacyczyn,is retired, I found one of her books written in 1996 for 99 at Goodwill. A lot is still very relevant today.

Apparently she retired but I found a recent interview...
"Whats the best tactic for saving money youve come across since you stopped writing The Tightwad Gazette?
The internet, without a doubt. There are countless ways to save money and stretch your dollar online: selling used stuff, buying used stuff you need, comparison shopping, inexpensive entertainment, inexpensive educational materials - for the price you pay for it, the internet is a spectacular bargain if you use it well.

The advice I wrote about the internet in The Tightwad Gazette in 1995 and 1996 are now embarrassingly dated - those pieces should basically be ignored today. Now, Im online every day - I use eBay to sell stuff, get medical information, get legal information, order books through inter-library loan, and so on. I got interested in music and CD buying and selling - I used online resources to find what contemporary music I liked, then I was able to buy it through discount music sites, paying $1 to $5 per CD with shipping.

Im a natural research - anything that interests me, Ill go off on a tangent researching a topic and studying it for hours. The internet is amazing for that, with resources like Wikipedia - you can learn a ton and its all free."
http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2008...-dacyczyn-the-author-of-the-tightwad-gazette/

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have Tightwad Gazettes 1 and 2. My sister has the third book. Lots of great stuff.Some a little 'out there' but some tips I still use.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I've checked one of her books out of the library and used some of her ideas. I agree with krjwaj that some of it was just too out there for me!

Wifezilla

Reaction score
LOL...true, but it is still interesting. I wont be making anything out of dryerlint anytime soon, but I do admire the creativity :D

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
What not use dryer lint??? I use that to make fire starters!!

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Firestarters...yes. Dryer lint mache masks? Not so much :D

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Mache masks??? That is a a 'little' out there!!! :hu

Home Maker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have the three books and get them out to go through occasionally. I used to get her newsletter. I really admire the way she could analyze something and calculate costs, etc.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Love her books, but some of the ideas are a bit much for me :) Lots of great ideas, though!

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
I was raised by an avid TWG reader....... I think my mom named me after her.......not really, but she doesn't deny it either:)

I have her 'complete' book - bought it for $1 at a library used book sale! I still read it and use her ideas. I especially like her 'attitude' articles, as they are timelessly relevent.

And yes, I have gone dumpster diving, it's fun!