Any uses for pumpkin guts?

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We will be hollowing out a bunch of pumpkins for a Halloween party this year. Other than saving the seeds, do any of you have good ideas for using the stringy goop from the inside of the pumpkins? Thanks.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Do you have chickens?

Mine love all that stringy junk.

Or compost,
thats about all I do with it.

So group any other ideas?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
all the poultry will love them or keep a bunch and plant next year!

WifeZilla had a recipe for spicy roasted seeds... might want to check it out. i cant remember where i saw it but you could search on pumpkin seed recipe and see whatcha get

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I roasted and salted the seeds a few years back, and my son has been whining for more ever since then.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
roast the seeds for yourself
save some seeds to grow ur own pumpkins next year

and my goats eat all the guts and everything else I throw out there, they chew the rinds if I cut them up in small chunks

zero waste

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yum! I had some pumpkin pickles this weekend. Never knew you could make pumpkin pickles. I've found a recipe and I'm gettin' me a pumpkin.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
kcsunshine said:
Yum! I had some pumpkin pickles this weekend. Never knew you could make pumpkin pickles. I've found a recipe and I'm gettin' me a pumpkin.
When I moved to Germany many years ago I wanted to make Thanksgiving dinner for my new friends. There were all sorts of problems finding what I needed, including the turkey (!), and I had to compromise on some things, but that first year I almost missed out on the pumpkin pie entirely. The only pumpkin/squash that I could find was pickled! Nothing fresh in the markets, certainly none canned plain. Luckily I met a woman who had access to the PX at one of the army bases, and she helped me out. The following year I saw a house with a field of pumpkins, pulled together all my courage (and all my German language skills :D), knocked on the door, and asked if I could buy one. No problem (and very cheap), but they looked at me like I had two heads. I don't know if they raised them for pickles (lots of pickles!), or to feed a pig, but I'm pretty sure they weren't making pumpkin pie ;). Things have changed since then; I have seen a number of recipes for winter squash in German publications, so they must be available. But I have still never eaten pumpkin pickles :lol:

Latest posts