Any vinegar makers here?

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've got it in a 1 gal glass jar with a coffee filter held on with a rubber band. It's sitting on top of my hot water heater and seems to be loving it.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Bringing up an older thread, mainly to ask some questions, if anyone can help. :)

I just got a bunch of organic apples, and wanted to make a big batch of ACV with them. Do I jsut cut up the apples, cover with water add a glug of Braggs, and let it sit covered? And as far as containers I am not a big fan of using plastic containers, but I do have food grade plastic buckets. Any opinions and advice for me?

Thanks!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:idunno

I think you need to juice the apples. Then add the Brags. I used a 1/2 gal mason jar with a loose plastic lid.

g

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
:idunnoLast year i just made a gallon and just cu them up and puthem in water. I had to put a baggie of water on the top, to keep them from floating to the top, but it seemed to work.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I think I might grind up the apples in the food processor first- skins, seeds and all. (I think the bacteria to make ACV actually comes from the skins. But I'm not sure!). That way you don't have to worry about the pieces of apple floating to the top and it gives more juice and surface area of apple for the bacteria to work on.

ETA: Oooh, coffee filters- I didn't think of that!

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't know about making ACV, but I am currently working on a batch of pineapple vinegar. To make this one, you use the core and skins covered in water with a little of some kind of sugar added. I substituted honey.

Recipe: Pineapple Vinegar
From Wild Fermentation by Sandor Ellix Katz

1/4 cup sugar
Peel of 1 pineapple
water
cheesecloth (or old T-shirt)
glass jar

1. In a jar or bowl, dissolve the sugar in 1 quart of water. Coarsely chop and add the pineapple peel. Cover with cheesecloth to keep flies out, and leave to ferment at room temperature.

2. When you notice the liquid darkening, after about 1 week, strain out the pineapple peels and discard. (compost!)

3. Ferment the liquid 2 to 3 weeks more, stirring or agitating periodically, and your pineapple vinegar is ready.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks Calendula, it's not like I don't have anything else to do but to start something new... :D
I was surprised that there were so many fruit vinegars! The pineapple sounds good, but this isn't pineapple country. And getting a ripe one that's organic? Probably won't happen, but I printed off the recipe just in case!

It seems like on an old thread here somewhere, the folks said that you can use the apple peels to get the vinegar started, and then strain it later. I just use organic apple juice and added the bottom inch and dregs from the Bragg's bottle to start my vinegar the first time. Love that stuff.

I keep mine in a big glass jar that has a 4" mouth, another kitchen hankerchief over it (used to be DH's, but he had a stack of 'em that he wasn't using, so I snagged three), secured with a rubber band. I keep the jar on top of the frig.

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FWIW, I killed my first batch by not stirring enough, kinda forgot about it with all the other stuff going on this tome of year, planning on starting another batch soon, after all the canning is done...

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Thanks Calendula, it's not like I don't have anything else to do but to start something new... :D
I was surprised that there were so many fruit vinegars! The pineapple sounds good, but this isn't pineapple country. And getting a ripe one that's organic? Probably won't happen, but I printed off the recipe just in case!

It seems like on an old thread here somewhere, the folks said that you can use the apple peels to get the vinegar started, and then strain it later. I just use organic apple juice and added the bottom inch and dregs from the Bragg's bottle to start my vinegar the first time. Love that stuff.

I keep mine in a big glass jar that has a 4" mouth, another kitchen hankerchief over it (used to be DH's, but he had a stack of 'em that he wasn't using, so I snagged three), secured with a rubber band. I keep the jar on top of the frig.
I know what you mean about starting something new Marianne, I have a stack of projects printed off that someday I will maybe get to. :D

My grandma is going to have a bumper crop of apples this fall, her tree is just loaded. I am hoping to make some ACV of my own. What is a good way to juice apples if you don't have a cider press?

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
WZ, MEAD vinegar?! that sounds deliciously evil (im a renny, were mead drinkers lol!)

Latest posts