Any vitamin help???

eggs4sale

Lush who can't use a cheese grater
Reaction score
Going back to how the doctor feels I should have been tied up in a pillowcase at birth and dumped in a lake....

I can't take vitamins or supplements. When I do, I get BAD headaches or leg cramps or both. It's as if it negates my thyroid medicine, and all my hypothyroid symptoms come back real fast.

I can't eat sugary things, especially store-bought, as the same reaction occurs.

This is good for my figure (sort of), but bad for my sweet tooth!

I have tried all vitamins and supplements available at grocery stores. Bad, bad, bad stuff.
A homeopath in Tucson recommended a powdered vitamin (from his website, hmmm...) that would be good glycemic-wise and had no bad junk in it. Well, it worked. No pain. But it didn't seem to help me in any way, and cost $35 for half a month, not counting postage. I couldn't afford $85 a month for a vitamin.

Well, I'm getting worried. When we get sick here, DH gets sick for a day, DS, and DD get sick for 2 hours, little DS gets sick for two days, and I am sick for a month. This worries me, as flu season is approaching. I'm thinking maybe the vitamin didn't make me feel much better, but maybe it will boost my immune system to be more normal.

Does anyone know a good vitamin that doesn't cost so much, is glycemic friendly, nut free, and did I say doesn't cost much?

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I may have missed some background here but I've studied nutrition and worked 4 years in health food- nutrition so I might be able to help. You mentioned hypothyroid and reacting to most vitamins and sugary stuff.

Have you been tested for food allergies? Maybe you are reacting to something they were putting in as a source. Lots of people react to yeast which is used frequently as a source for B vitamins. There are still brands that don't have it.

Are you avoiding soy and most of the cabbage family? They can interfere with the thyroid. There is a book called Prescription for Nutritional Healing that the customers loved. You could look up the medical conditions someone has and it would tell which nutrients, herbs and foods they should try or Avoid.

When anybody has a few physical problems- I'd tell them look up each problem separately and write down the things they could try for each. If anything turned up on 2 or more lists- that's a good starting point. Save some money too, by trying to find things that may help more than 1 problem.

eggs4sale

Reaction score
I have been tested for food allergies. But I haven't been tested for everything.
I tested positive for all nuts, mold, dander, latex, and bermuda grass.

But I have allergic reactions to tomatoes, bananas, watermelon, well, ALL melons, carrots, raw pumpkin.... that's all I can think of right now.
But I didn't test positive for them. I'm thinking pesticides. I can eat organic bananas. And cooked carrots and pumpkins.
But I can't use chamomile and coconut oil and almond oil, and those are in almost every natural product!
The homeopath says I tested positive for wheat allergy, but I don't understand his test. It wasn't like the earlier allergy test. I don't have a noticeable reaction to wheat, i.e. mouth itching, swelling, coughing... I still dropped my wheat consumption by half, at least. When I make bread at home, I've never gotten the same pain reactions as from sugar-y garbage.
I don't eat much soy... knowingly, anyways. It's in so many things now.

I'll look into Prescription for Nutritional Healing. For the time being, I use my vitamin book to try to get an idea of what foods to concentrate on. Hasn't seemed to work, though...

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Have you been tested for celiac? Gluten sensitivities can show symptoms like that. OK, I just looked and saw you were tested for wheat. Celiac can be hard to diagnose though, so maybe check into it...I'm trying to think outside the box.

What about Emergen-C packets? There are 5 grams of sugar in those though.
Um, to get a little personal, are your bowels functioning daily? If there are blockages, you won't be able to absorb the good things.
How about probiotics? Fermented foods? Keeping the gut flora healthy is a must.
As recommended by others here, I have been checking out Vitamin D supplementation, and I always take alot of Vitamin C.

You can get all the vitamins and minerals a body needs through herbal teas and products. Check into books and websites by Dr. Christopher for more on that if you are interested. I have huge faith in his protocols. Any other grasses you allergic to?

Red Raspberry leaf tea is good for lots of things and has a bunch of trace minerals and vitamins in it.

eggs4sale

Reaction score
Javamama said:
Um, to get a little personal, are your bowels functioning daily? If there are blockages, you won't be able to absorb the good things.
How about probiotics? Fermented foods? Keeping the gut flora healthy is a must.

--------- I've considered trying probiotic pills to see how that went. Bowels are great. I eat home-made granola every morning.

Check into books and websites by Dr. Christopher for more on that if you are interested.

--------- I'll look into that.

Any other grasses you allergic to?

----------- Lots of herbs and plant-type things. I don't know why. As for grasses, I don't know. I was tested for a few, but bermuda is the only one I've had a lot of exposure to. We're in the desert.

----------- Red Raspberry leaf tea is good for lots of things and has a bunch of trace minerals and vitamins in it.

-------- I'll look into that, too. I think I've had it before with no ill effect.
Thanks!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I tested positive for all nuts, mold, dander, latex, and bermuda grass.
But I have allergic reactions to tomatoes, bananas, watermelon, well, ALL melons, carrots, raw pumpkin.... that's all I can think of right now.
But I didn't test positive for them. I'm thinking pesticides. I can eat organic bananas. And cooked carrots and pumpkins.
But I can't use chamomile and coconut oil and almond oil, and those are in almost every natural product!
The homeopath says I tested positive for wheat allergy, but I don't understand his test.

I know how it feels about the allergies. I'm allergic to peanut and supposed to avoid other nuts in case of cross contamination. I also react to coconut- hives.
Chamomile allergy means also be careful with echinacea and ragweed- possible cross reactions.

Bananas, carrots, pumpkin, watermelon and other melons all have plenty of natural sugars to them. You react to large amounts of other sugar so that might be part of it. Some multis have added sugar too.
Many multis use yeast as a source for the B vitamins.
Pesticides or fungicides might be involved too.

Headaches can be triggered by allergies. I get them from nitrates and normal grapes. Organic grapes are fine though.
Wheat allergies cause intestinal distress :sick for many people.

grandma

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Sometimes what we call food allergies are really food sensitivities. Maybe some of your symptoms are sensitivities which show up only in conjunction with other things? Apparently, I have an egg 'allergy', but I've never shown any symptoms except when I've had a needle which uses egg as a base. I don't have any suggestions other than maybe trying echinacea (purple coneflower) as an immune-booster.