Any winemakers/homebrewers here?

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm not sure what it is about living differently than we were used to ("normal home" as opposed to our "22' camper home") but Doc and I have really gotten into homebrewing since we've moved to our new life.

Guess it's mostly the challenge posed by others of what they think we can't do.

We bought raw/undeveloped land and were told we wouldn't be happy. "They" couldn't be more wrong! Sure, we've had our ups and downs but the ups sooo out-weigh the downs, at least for us. ;)

In the fall of 2010, my aunt had a phenomenal pear crop with one of her unpampered pear trees that was a good producer when she and my uncle moved to their old homestead 30+ years ago. My mom had canned a lot of those pears and she had a lot more to do when she asked us just what was she going to do with all of the rest as she was tired of canning them. Doc and I jokingly said, "make pear wine" and came home with a 5+ gallon bucket of them.

So began our journey in country wine making!

Pear Wine

Pear Wine 2010:

(recipe from C.J.J. Berry's 'First Steps in Winemaking)

The main recipe we followed for our pear wine:

4 pounds of pears
2 pounds sugar
1 teaspoon citric acid
1 gallon of water
Yeast and yeast nutrient

The above ingredients are for a 1 gallon batch of wine. We multipled the ingredients by 5 for out batch (except for the water and yeast).

October 31st:

We cut our pears into small chunks and placed them in a large cooking pot. We didn't bother to peel them or remove seeds and stems, only cut out bad spots. We took part of our measured water and barely covered the pear chunks then put the pot on the stove. Bring this slowly to a boil and gently simmer for 20 minutes ( any longer than 20 minutes and the wine may not clear later). Let cool. Once this was cool, we ran it through a strainer.

We had our sugar in the fermentation bucket and poured the pears and water from the pot into a mesh fermentation bag that we had stretched over the bucket opening. Once we were done cooking down our pears, we added the citric acid and yeast nutrient to the pear juice and sugar in the bucket. Then we added the rest of the water to the fermentation bucket (ours is 6 gallon which is perfect for making 5 gallon batches as you need to make sure that there is "breathing room" for the fermentation process to take place.

November 2nd:

We let this sit for 24 hours, then added the wine yeast and nutrient.

November 3rd:

Fermentation bubbles in the airlock!

November 8th:

Siphoned wine to 5 gallon carboy for 2nd/continued fermentation.

December 5th:

Siphoned wine from carboy into bucket (strained through fine mesh bag to avoid any sediment), then from bucket back into carboy. We could have bottled at this time but decided not to, just incase it decided to start fermenting again.

January 8, 2011:

Bottled the wine!

We used recycled plastic bourbon bottles to do this as we didn't want any glass bombs going off in the camper. Plastic bottles can also explode but the damage isn't near as dangerous as glass. Learned this lesson years ago when we were using pop bottle CO2 reactors to fertilize the plants in our home aquariums. I'd capped what I thought was a "spent" bottle, forgot about it and it exploded. The shredded plastic actually mowed off several leaves of the Mother-in-Laws Tongue plant that it was sitting near.

In 2011, we were given more watermelons than the 2 of us or our 14 chickens could ever get eaten, so we decided to attempt Watermelon Wine.

Watermelon-Grape Concentrate Wine (makes 1 gallon)

6-8 lb watermelon
12 oz white grape concentrate
water to make up 1 gallon
juice and zest of 2 lemons
2-1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 crushed Campden tablet
1 tsp yeast nutrient
Champagne or Sauterne wine yeast
Cut the rind off of melon, cut melon into one-inch cubes, remove loose seeds, and put melon and any free juice in primary. Thinly grate the yellow off two lemons, juice the lemons, and add the juice and zest (gratings) to primary. Add grape concentrate and crushed Campden tablet to primary. Add water to make up 3-3/4 quarts total liquid. Add sugar and stir well to dissolve. Cover primary with cloth, wait 24 hours and add yeast and yeast nutrient. Cover and ferment 5-7 days, stirring daily. Siphon off sediments into secondary, fit airlock and ferment 30 days. Rack, top up, refit airlock, and repeat 30 days later. After additional 60 days, rack, top up, and stabilize (add 1/4 tsp potassium sorbate and another crushed Campden tablet). Wait 10 days, rack, sweeten to taste and bottle. Allow to age in bottles 3 months to one year. [Author's recipe]

It's from Jack Keller's winemaking site.

Things we did differently:

Cut watermelon into slices, well away from the rind and put the slices into a strainer to juice it. The strainer contained most of the seeds...only had to pick out a few escapees by hand.

Our favorite thing about this one is that most people are afraid to even try this one as the watermelon juice tends to spoil before it even ferments. So I spent 2 - 3 weeks researching and was given advice on jump-starting the fermentation process by using a yeast starter and that did the trick! We made it through the fermentation process and didn't have a problem with the juice spoiling.

From everything I've read, this one won't be really drinkable for atleast one year and then it will have to be refrigerated/chilled to really appreciate...a good lesson in patience for me! :)

I'll post an update in about 2 weeks when we siphon off the the watermelon into another carboy.

Looking forward to hearing from others that are interested in this hobby. We can't wait to have more room to were we can begin experimenting with meads/beer and wine combinations. Probably don't have all the terminology correct but I'll get there! ;)

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I must admit that am disappointed, your header said home brewing, but what you are doing is winemaking. The brewing refers to the boiling step that extracts the fermentable materials from grain [usually malted to convert starch to sugars] dont get me wrong, many home brewers started out by making wine. I consider home brewing to be the more difficult of the two arts and the equipment to homebrew can be expensive, considering the cost of a good brew kettle and the high BTU propane burners used to bring your brew water to a boil in a reasonable amount of time.
I am getting a few years on me and no longer feel confident about trying to handle a large pot of boiling water, so I am downsizing to 1-2 gallon batches to try out new brews. When I have settled on a recipe I will try to talk a buddy into doing a co-brew with me and am doing more small batch wine making by myself.
A couple of quick points: It is against federal law to reuse bottles that once contained distilled spirits.[passed to prevent people from adding rotgut spirits to brand name bottles and selling as the original product, many of us do so for private use, just dont take the bottle out in public and never enter in a fair or show.
I always use a yeast starter, mostly because of the problem you pointed out in your watermelon wine; allowing stuff to sit for 24 hours without the yeast is inviting wild yeast/bacteria to get a head start on your fermentation. Your starter should contain the yeast, yeast nutrient and a small amount of sugar. I make it before hand and add it as soon as the juice is cool enough not to kill the yeast. Adding it to a warm, NOT HOT! batch will kick start your fermentations.
Boiling the fruit with stems and seeds will extract some tannins from them, many like the slightly oak like taste, I dont. However NEVER boil stone fruits [cherries, peaches etc] because the pits contain cyanide. Over boiling pears and other fruits can extract pectin [like in jams and jelly] which will form a haze in your wine. Often a period of cold storage will cause this haze to settle out as sediment in the bottom of the bottle.
Final note the screw top bottle will allow you to sample the wine so you can tell how it is ageing. ~gd

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Would it be okay if I furnished the cheese and crackers instead?

My BIL (he's an attorney now) used to have a still in his kitchen. I have a vague memory of cases of homemade beer in their bathtub, a plastic trash can with plums fermenting for wine next to the shower.

The rest is a little blurry...something about grain alcohol, onion pizza and a 17 year old (me) being drunk for the first time in my life. I've been a little leary of onion pizza ever since. :D

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Fixed the title! ;)

Bring on the cheese and crackers, Marianne! :D

I had hoped to try persimmon wine after we got the watermelon into a carboy but there is no way that we are fitting a second carboy in the camper (and I tried!!!) :( This is the situation where smaller batches could come in handy but they'd take up more room than we have at this point in time. We'll get there, someday. :)

doc_gonzo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
dawn and i realy enjoy the wine making, personaly i really miss brewing beer, but living i a 22" camper while i build our cabin does not allow the space for the brewing accutriments that ~gd mentioned, or the running water for a wort chiller, let alone the floor space for a top tier brewing stand. we plan on growng our own grains and hops very shortly, the malting process is really very simple. i am totaly over the bottling process, we will be kegging in the furture, 5 gal in the keg only leaves a few grolsch style bottles to be flled at the end of the process.
~gd, dude (or dudette) sux that you cant handle the 5 -6 gal batches anymore, hell, a gallon or 2 is about a waste of time. hope you can find a youngster to help you and pass along the knowledge you have accrued.

cheers

doc

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My hubby makes wine. Strawberry-kiwi going now. We pulled some off the other day to try and it is soooo sweet!

We did pear wine also. And a friend did chocolate covered cherry wine a few years ago. What a mess! You have to put them threw a food processer and liquify them and then strain them several times. And then it doesn't taist anything like chocolate covered cherrys.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
doc_gonzo said:
dawn and i realy enjoy the wine making, personaly i really miss brewing beer, but living i a 22" camper while i build our cabin does not allow the space for the brewing accutriments that ~gd mentioned, or the running water for a wort chiller, let alone the floor space for a top tier brewing stand. we plan on growng our own grains and hops very shortly, the malting process is really very simple. i am totaly over the bottling process, we will be kegging in the furture, 5 gal in the keg only leaves a few grolsch style bottles to be flled at the end of the process.
~gd, dude (or dudette) sux that you cant handle the 5 -6 gal batches anymore, hell, a gallon or 2 is about a waste of time. hope you can find a youngster to help you and pass along the knowledge you have accrued.

cheers

doc
Dude! since you mentioned kegs I assume you are talking soda kegs? Select one of the two different types and stick with it. I hate the pin style fittings but many love them and you can trade or sell to get what you want in most market areas. Coke and Pepsi use different types. Avoid any keg that smells. I had one that smelled of root beer and nothing I tried would kill that smell/taste. I have a couple 'party pigs' and I really like that system for small batches.~gd~

doc_gonzo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
~gd,

yeah the soda type kegs. midwest has really good deals on new and used ball lock type kegs. we get 99% of our supplies from them.

we watched the movie "how beer saved the world" the other night, great movie if you haven't seen it yet it's definatly a must see for home brewers.

cheers

doc

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i have my quick fast HT Shop mead

1.5 gallon water (any kind just no chlorine)
3lbs honey (any kind you can get)
1 large lemon or 2 small (can be limes or any citrus fruit)
2 whole nutmegs

warm water up to scalding mix in honey and stir until combined
crush nutmegs course (DO NOT GRIND)
bring to boil for 30mins
as mix boils skim off foam (unwanted but rabbits loved it)
after 30min boil remove from heat allow to cool to room temp (can rush it by putting pot in cool water bath)
Zest, juice, crush your citrus of choice then stir for 2 mins then pour into fermenter (carboy, Gatorade bottle, fuel testing flask(all cleaned)) while straining out solids.
pitch in sweet mead or champagne yeast install air lock, bubbler, balloon, or latex glove w/rubber band.

drink when clear (about 2-3 weeks) follow all sanitation rules for brewing and directions on the yeast package.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We taste tested the Watermelon wine today (finally) and it's definately wine...even though I won't say that it is good, yet. We've read that it needs to age for quite awhile before it is really drinkable.

The color turned from buble gum pink to a pretty amber color. We'll be bottling it up tomorrow and I'll make sure to get some pix. ;)

Our next venture is hopefully a 5 gallon batch of Blackberry wine but we'll need 30 pounds of berries for the batch. :th We may have to buy some in (@ $10.00 a gallon) but we won't do that until after we see how many my mom has in her freezer.

I'd also like to do another 5 gallons of Watermelon wine this year, using our Moon & Stars that we're growing.

Latest posts