Any wisdom on cutting your own hair?

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
don't do it! and don't let your husband or father ever decide what the hairdresser should do to your sibling or childs hair!

My brother left the hairdressers with a fantastic Mennonite haircut today when I told my dad that he wants longer on top and short sides so he can do it in a fauxhawk...

My dad told the hairdresser take an inch off every side... All he needs now is a strawhat and a horse n buggy!!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I wear the style where it is shorter in the back than the front but it is a bob nonetheless.

Mine has bangs. I like my bangs long so I never let them cut much off, but then three weeks or so later my bangs are too long.
So I just cut my own bangs. I can see that part and just do a little at a time, like they said. My hair is curly so it is forgiving.

I could never cut the back in my kind of style and my hair won't grow long, but this way I can stretch my time between haircuts to about once every three months, sometimes a bit longer if they do a real good job in the back. So many hair styles now are all choppy and uneven on purpose, if the overall effect is okay, I say go with it.

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't cut my hair, just an occassional trim and DH is very good about helping with that so it ends up nice and "even". I clip my hair up with one of those "squeeze clippy thingy's" (sorry for such technical lingo here)leaving a small layer hanging in the back that he cuts to the specified length. I the let down another layer and he trims that even with the first layer, then so on and so forth until there are no more layers to let down. I might try Peachykeen's method - I think it may work for me too as long as DH is around to "clean up" any missed locks or uneven areas. It sounds like ya wind up with alittle "fancier" cut.