Anybody build their own webpage?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'd like to find a good source of free web page hosting but they all say free...and then charge you big bucks after you logon to their site. The ones I've found that are pretty cheap even then have horrible choices on their backgrounds, graphics, fonts, etc.

Anyone recommend a good site? I just want a pretty webpage on which to blog, post pics, post links, and maybe even a video eventually.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Check out FreeWebStore.org
Completely free if you keep it on basic. Has a lot to offer once you get the hang of it. :)

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Have you tried Blogger.com ? I know Marianne blogs there and she seems to like it. It is definitely free and is also pretty customize-able.

Edited to correct to blogger.com

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Do they have capabilities to create a unique background and features? I tried Homestead.com and it had very few basic backgrounds, colors, and limited font styles. And it most definitely wasn't free, though cheaper than most, for the domain.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the freewebstore.org offers customizable backgrounds, etc. However, yes, you DO have to pay for a domain name if you don't like to have "freewebstore.org" before the name of your store. You will always have to pay for a domain name, nobody gives them away for free, unfortunately.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
I believe so. I know you can change the layout for sure. I have been to many different blogs that are hosted by blogger and some look VERY custom, while some appear very similar to the next. I would recommend going to Marianne's blog http://2atthefarm.blogspot.com/ or this one http://www.farmgirlfare.com/ and at the top of the page there is a button to go to the next blog. Click through a few and you'll see how each has been customized.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Thanks! I looked at them and I'm wondering.....what is the biggest difference between a blog site and a web page? I'm just not that computer savvy, though I have a little capabilities in that area, building a webpage, website or blog site is just not one of them.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Sorry! I have acrappy internet connection and got booted off!

A website, you buy a domain name and a hosting package and you can pretty much make whatever you want on it. If you know how to write HTML code the possibilities are endless. There are some hosting co's that have customizeable templates like GoDaddy and others. But you pay for it.

A blog site, at least through blogger, is free. It is almost more of a journal with pics, videos and stories (posts). You can allow people to comment or not. You can put any content you choose as long as it follows their rules. No selling stuff, etc. From what you originally posted, it sounds like a blog is what you are wanting to make.

I know there are others here who are more savvy in this area than I a, so hopefully someone can jump in with more/better info.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Thanks, Cheerio! That helps a lot! Now, with the blog page, the domain won't be as easy to find?