Anybody ever FREEZE their eggs?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Wife and I are going to try it. I got her some of the older style ice aluminum cube trays with the handle, to try it in. Any suggestions, ideas or thoughts sure would be helpful! :D

andehens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have done it. I break the yoke and swirl it a little and add a dash of salt. I use them for baking, but not as a fresh breakfast egg! Its nice to have them, now that my hens have slowed way down!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I did it years ago, ditto andehens. They do keep well in the fridge for 3-4 months, so that is what I do now, I save eggs during peak production to get me through molting and dead of winter. I make sure they are marked clearly with dates, and break them into a bowl or cup rather than right into the pan or mixing bowl. I've never had a bad one yet, though.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Do you think we can break one whole egg to a section of an ice cube tray? Would that work? Can we leave them in the tray until we are ready to use them? How do you think they would cook up(as in eggs over easy)??

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
If you keep them in the tray (one per cube) you need to wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and then bag it or they will dry out. I wouldn't use them as straight eggs, the texture will be funky. Use in baking and recipes. I don't know how they would work in something like a quiche, though. Maybe someone can tell us.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I was going to bake some quiche cups and cheese cake (cream cheese s cheap right now). That is a good way to use up eggs and they freeze well. Unfortunately my ducks have all gone on strike! I can't believe I have to BUY EGGS!!!!

:::mutter mutter::::lousy freeloaders::::

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Sure, works fine for baking but you would not want to use 'em for 'over easy' and when I've used frozen eggs in a frittata it has come out a little odd. As an *ingredient*, though, frozen eggs are fine.

I am under the impression that if you are freezing them whole it is best to beat them together rather than just breaking the egg into an ice cube tray compartment but I dunno, have not actually tried the latter.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I'm planning on trying to make up and freeze some french toast or french toast fingers... I'll put a dab of butter and cinnamon sugar on them and see how that works. It will make breakfast time easy when I'm feeling lazy which is pretty often.
:D

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have read that some people have good luck just breaking an egg into a container, mixing it up a bit, and freezing. But mostly I read that a bit of salt or sugar is needed to keep the yolks from thickening during the freezing process. A few months ago I had more eggs than I needed, and so froze quite a lot of them in useful sized portions (3 eggs at a time is good for many recipes), with about 1/4 tsp of salt added (figuring that slightly salted eggs would be more useful than sweetened eggs). Now I am getting one egg every two days (!) and am very glad of my frozen stash. They are fine for baking or quiche (and maybe scrambled eggs, though I haven't done that yet), probably French toast too. Though the yolks were still a little funny, even with the salt - next time I will add a bit more I think - but a run through the blender, or a strong arm with a whisk, takes care of that. You can't freeze yolks whole, and expect them to survive the process; they will expand, like any liquid, and end up broken and probably not very nice. Egg whites can be frozen without any extra treatment, though I usually whisk them a bit to liquify them a little more.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I always scramble them with a bit of salt an freeze them in a regular large cube ice cube tray. When they are frozen I pop them out and store them in a Ziplock freezer bag.

Latest posts