Anybody found any shed antlers yet??

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I really like hunting for sheds-- just wondering if anyone else has found any yet? I know they're dropping them already, but I haven't had a chance to get out.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Haven't found any sheds yet but had an 8 pointer, 6 pointer, 2 4pointers, a 3 pointer and 2 spikes cross the road in front of me last night! I saw them on the edge of the field with my high beams so I just stopped and said, "go on and go". They just kept coming and coming...couldn't believe it. I never see that many bucks together here in my neck of the woods!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I did. I was walking the woods with my dog. She found a stick, but it turned out to be an antler. I got it from her before she did any damage. A 2 point, 1 spike. We have a ton of snow but it was at the base of a tree partially exposed sticking up. We are mounting it.

OK, the dog found it, but how do you hunt for sheds?

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here's my basic instructions for shed hunting:

1). Go where the deer are. Look in corn fields, wooded areas where they like to bed down, etc. Following deer paths in the timber is a good idea. Look for congregations of deer scat. Edges of fields bordered by timber are good places also.

2.) Look especially in areas where deer cross fences. Look where the deer path crosses the fence, usually into or out of a crop field. Or where a deer might jump over a ditch.

3.) Look in the same high-traffic areas over and over again throughout the spring. In one field I found about 18 sheds in a span of 2 months.

4.) Walk. Riding an ATV is cheating. They move too fast for you to really see the area very well anyway.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Great tips! I wouldn't have thought to look repeatedly in the same area. It would take a sharp eye to spot them among the branches and twigs strewn on the ground.
I'm looking forward to our thaw so I can search for these.

What do you do with them?

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, you can use them for decorations, or you can sell them at places like flea markets. There are also antler buyers out there. I once made $300 selling antlers to a guy who collects them. Really good matched sets of sheds can bring a pretty penny. Pottery Barn has been featuring them as table decorations in their catalogs.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I have heard of folks training their dogs to hunt for sheds......

hobbychickener

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I would have thought it was a little to early for shed hunting. I am still seeing a lot of dressed heads out ther for them to be falling off but maybe I am wrong. I love the excuse though, it gets me and my boy out to the woods!!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
We looked at a house today and in one of the rooms they had used a pair of antlers for the curtain tie backs. It was really cool! They turned them so that the antlers curved outward...it was really pretty.

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I haven't found any yet I usually come across them when me and the horse are out checking around the fields where they lay a lot. Last year I found a nice 6 on one side, bleached out real hard. Figure it must have laid up on the sunny side of the mountain most of its time.