Anybody Have A Whole House Fan?

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm thinking about installing one. We are in an area where we can get by without AC, but some nights when there is no breeze and it is really hot we bake at night, so it would be nice to have a way to expel all the hot air in the house.

So, we're thinking whole house fan. Anybody have one / install one? Any suggestions?

My concerns: Noise & if we have enough venting in the attic to push out that much volume of air.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I wish that we did. This is the first home that we have owned that does not have one. We've been discussing adding one for some time now. I love them.

They can be a bit noisy, but after a short time we tended not to even notice it. Mainly we used ours during the days and the evenings. The southeast Louisiana nights were usually too humid, at least in the summer, to use them all night. You would tend to wake up feeling like you just got out of the shower and hadn't dried off.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
I just purchased this one: http://www.ventingdirect.com/index.cfm/page/product:display/productId/9166/manufacturer/Air King

Free shipping and cheaper than on Amazon. It has really good reviews on both sites. I like that I can change the direction on the flow!

I was originally going to try to do an ceiling version, but I liked that this one is window mount so I can remove when it gets cold again and I won't have to cut into the ceiling.

My only concern is that it is really made for vertical / double hung windows but everything we have in our house is horizontal / sliding windows. I'll see how it comes and try to jimmy something to make it work. Will take pics and keep you posted!

Carri

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We have one!! Next time you're out, I'll show it to you. It really does help a lot. When it's a little toasty in the house but perfect outside, we turn that thing on and it cools the house down quickly. We love it. Yes, it's a little noisy but just think of all the money you are saving by not running the A/C 24/7.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
As long as you have cool evenings/nights, you will LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT :)

My parents got one about 20 years ago and wowie did it ever make a huge difference. Sounded like being next to a jet engine but didn't have to be run particularly continuously nor for real long if you didn't want to. I would imagine today's models are probably quieter, too.

Have fun,

Pat, totally jealous as it gets hot enough here it'd sure be nice to have one, even if it entailed a lot of winterizing hassles in this climate ;)

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm a bit excited. :D The reviews are really good and I love that I can put it in a window, can move it / remove it to different locations. I'm just going to have to try to find a good place / way to mount it without having any vertical closing windows in the house.

I also like that it is reversible... speaking of which: Anybody a master of aerodynamics? Everything being equal (i.e., other doors / windows being open) would a fan "pulling" air from outside and "pushing" it into the house (and out other windows) move the same volume in exactly the opposite path / direction as a fan "pulling" air from inside and "pushing" it outside? Brain teaser for sure!!

jackiedon

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You adjust to the noise. I love sleeping with an attic fan and the windows open. I don't have one but my parents have always had one.

I hope you enjoy it.

jackie

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
We don't even have AC in the house. We do have a couple ceiling fans but on the really hot nights with absolutely no wind outside the fans just move the hot air around.

I've only been in one house with a whole house fan and was there when they cranked the beast on and watched (felt) in amazement as it sucked in the cold outside air and pushed out the hot air.

Another friend has one that he says is so strong that if they don't have a window open in the house it will actually pull in and break one of the windows in the house. :hide

If this thing lives up to the hype we'll be in a much nicer situation this summer... now to figure out how / where to mount it.

jackiedon

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Rob,

I don't know about the kind you bought but in Arkansas they are the best things in the late spring at night. Last year we had to stay with my parents a lot due to them being in bad health. One of my daughters was sitting in a chair in front of a window and she couldn't figure out where all that wind was coming from. It was funny to watch her try to figure it out.

Of course my parents live in the country and the best memories were laying in bed with the windows open with a cool breeze and the sounds of whooperwills (sp) singing and bobwhites.

jackie

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Jakie... I'm almost excited for a really hot summer night!! ;)

There is a (grainy) video review of it here

Latest posts