Anybody here experienced with Pinterest?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm new to it and have questions. I'm all signed up and have an initial board. I've found the basic info to be adequate on the mechanics of it, but I'm puzzled by a few things. Can't find the advice I need on their site.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Is there a way to search, within the Pinterest system, for boards related to (i.e., of a similar interest) to my own interest?

Another thing I wonder is: how do I let other Pinterest users know about my board, if I think they'd be interested?

Is there any aspect of Pinterest that let's a user (like you or me) know about similar boards that we might be interested in? or about new boards?

I got a message (on day one of putting "pins" on my board) that I could now establish "a map". When this message would come up, as it did repeatedly, I could not exit it, but it also led nowhere! - did not provide any info. So I'd log out of Pinterest, then log back in (which got rid of it). What is a map, and how would it be of value to me?

Bush Woman

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am not sure about the map! o_O But to search for things you are interested in, there should be a space to type into(says 'search' in it) on the top left hand corner of the page when you are logged in to Pintrest. Also, there should be a box infront of the 'search' area that if you click on it, it will bring up a large variety of subjects you could look into. I think the only way for others to find you is by chance, other than that, if you know of someone who has a Pintrest account, you can type in their name in the 'Search tab and their page should come up, or they can type in your name. You can also join your account to Facebook or Twitter, that way any friends you have on either, Pintrest will let you know which one have Pintrest accounts and you click to follow them.
Hope this helps! :) I am not an expert though, so good luck!!

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here's the problem, as I see it... possibly because I'm too new at it all, and because I don't yet know enough. There's the "category" issue. When I was starting my board, I got a prompt to classify my new board under a single, general thematic category. I chose "Technology", simply because nothing else came very close to rural living or country living, etc. The categories all seemed to relate to the interests of those living urban or suburban lifestyles.

"Gardening", "Architecture" (possible categories Pinterest offers you) are a part of what I'm pinning - but technologies like water capture & storage, carpentry, household electrical, woodworking, welding, etc are all aspects required for modern homesteading.

But, from the searchabilty standpoint, Technology puts the board in amongst boards that are almost entirely about silicon & digital gadgetry, software, etc.
doh.gif

How can people find my board through any sort of search?

Bush Woman

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ohhhhh!! Ok, I know what you mean!!! Lol, ya I have the same problem with mine! I am catagorized under 'Photography', and I am sorry to be of no help, but, I have no idea how to change that!! :mad:

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bush Woman, are you posting on Pinterest under the same user name as here?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm noticing a recurrent problem with pinning to my board now. Every time I go to pin, I get a sort of overlay on my page, and it bears a message about how I have the option to put a "map" on my board. Map?! What good is that?

Plus, I cannot just go ahead and ignore the message and just pin to my board. The overlay precludes normal functioning (like pinning). This started happening occasionally almost a week ago, but I could get out of the situation by logging out and then logging in again. More recently, the page overlay shows up when I first open my board in order to pin on it. Can you advise me?