Anybody here used fishbone meal for phosphorus?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Maybe I need to start using it to see if it will keep the stupid groundhog away. :somad
Lots of luck the only thing that I have found that works is a .222 and that type of shot can take a kot of time.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
~gd said:
Denim Deb said:
Maybe I need to start using it to see if it will keep the stupid groundhog away. :somad
Lots of luck the only thing that I have found that works is a .222 and that type of shot can take a kot of time.
We've gotten a few using a live trap, then feeding it lead, and thought we had them all gone. I saw one the other day, and have found a lot of scat in the garden by the chewed up plants that I think is from the ground hog. It's tunneled under the fence in at least 1 spot. I'll be getting hardware cloth this fall and putting that down in the ground. Then in the spring, I'm hoping I can get some electric wire up. Hopefully that will help.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
~gd said:
Denim Deb said:
We've gotten a few using a live trap, then feeding it lead, and thought we had them all gone. I saw one the other day, and have found a lot of scat in the garden by the chewed up plants that I think is from the ground hog. It's tunneled under the fence in at least 1 spot. I'll be getting hardware cloth this fall and putting that down in the ground. Then in the spring, I'm hoping I can get some electric wire up. Hopefully that will help.
What did you use for bait? I managed to catch one in a Hava-heart that I set for Racoons. I was trying new baits because I was always catching my neighbor's Tom cat with fish oe meat baits. It got to be part of my morning get the cat out of the trap. get dressed for work. I caught on the nib end of sweet corn because the racoons would raid my garden about 2 days before it was the way I liked it. Then I learned about marshmellows that worked so well for coons that I never changed again. I have been told that apples work well suspended over a leg hold trap the ground hog would have to get up on his hind legs to reach the apple. My neighbors all had horses and would do anything to kill 'hogs I guess that the tunnels can cave in under a hoof and break a leg on the horse [or rider or both]~gd

Denim Deb

Reaction score
It's not just under a horse that it can cave it. Recently I heard about the ground caving in under a tractor! I don't recall whether the operator was injured or not.

As for bait, we've used various things. The things I've recalled that worked were cabbage and cantaloupe. A lot depends on timing. If there's a lot of other stuff for them to eat, the bait isn't going to work.

Plantress

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Denim deb I used it around the back porch of our cottage last year to keep mr groundhog from going under, and it worked...hosta slips liked it too

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Didn't have much problem w/him last year, so hopefully I won't have a big problem this year either.