Anybody Know Anything About Hernia Repair

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I found a lump about the size of an egg in my groin area. My chiropractor said that it was an inguinal hernia. I'm going to my doctor on Friday to have him look at it and decide what to do.

From what I have read, it has to be fixed by surgery. Has anybody had any experience with this problem?

robbobbin

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My 1st husband had a repair surgery. They used some kind of internal mesh and 'fixed' the tear/hernia. All I remember is him lying on the couch wining like a baby...
That was 15-20 years ago, probably new procedures now.
Good luck at your DR appt.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
My DH had a hernia repair surgery when he was little. My 6 yo did too. My 6 yo was in and out with no problems. It was adviced to keep him still for a couple of weeks. We could not keep him still for nothing. He was about 18 months old at the time.

Reaction score
I had a hernia repair a year ago. It was the type that is further up. Doctor told me I would need to get it repaired but no hurry. Started hurting every time I lifted something or did some outside work. One morning I woke up and had to go to the bathroom real bad. Tried and it wouldn't come out but I could feel the sensation in part of my intestine but not the lower half. So I went to the emergency room and they had to do an emergency repair. The muscles in my abdomen were pinching the small intestine. If I had not gone when I did they would have had to resection my intestine and I would have had to use a colostomy bag.

Surgery is like any other out patient. They cut 3 small holes used a scope and put some mesh in. Had to stay overnight but was out the next morning cause I wanted out and walked all over the place to show I was ok. If you just lay in bed they'll keep you in. Back to work in 3 days. Percoset for 1 week. Vicodine for another 2 weeks.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
I had a hernia repair a year ago. It was the type that is further up. Doctor told me I would need to get it repaired but no hurry. Started hurting every time I lifted something or did some outside work. One morning I woke up and had to go to the bathroom real bad. Tried and it wouldn't come out but I could feel the sensation in part of my intestine but not the lower half.
How much time lapsed between the time you found out you had the hernia, and when you went to the emergency room?

Reaction score
It was a good year. When I went to the emergency room they took X-rays and decided it wasn't pinching the intestine. They gave me a choice of doing the surg or scheduling for later. I was drugged out on Diladid and I was sure it was pinching my intestine so I said lets do it. After the surg they told me I was right that it was pinching it but the blood supply had not been completely cut off and it would be okay.

If you do end up going to emergency over it be sure to clarify with the doctor that it is necessary. I was zoned when they gave me the choice and later the insurance company tried to say it was an elective emergency surgery. The hospital charges quite a bit more and the doctor was not a preferred provider. Fortunately the hospital recoded as emergency and they paid 90%

My GP was pretty casual about it. The tear just keeps getting bigger. Once they put the mesh in it supports it pretty well. Supposedly it won't tear again, but it does form scar tissue underneath that gets irritated occasionally. Not really painful just makes me worry about weather or not I reinjured it. Doc says no way.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks Big D. I have heard that if let go the problem could cause damage to the intestine, and as you say, require a repair ending with a colostomy. :th

It's a good thing that you got yours fixed with out that type of ending. :thumbsup

I see the doctor tomorrow, and I'm going to tell him that we need to do the surgery as soon as possible because I want to start back to work by June.

Your information is most helpful. I'm putting you in my will.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Many people have hernias for many years without problems. The key is...can you reduce it..that means can you push it back in? If you can many folks don't bother with a repair. BigDaddy developed a problem which can happen... but often does not.

To have surgery or not? Surgery is a risk. Always will be no matter how fancy they get. If the doctor says that you could likely head for trouble as time goes by I would get it fixed. And if you are older it is better to do it soon as surgery is always harder on older folks..the longer you wait the older you get and the bigger the risk.

Personally, If I had one I would get it fixed. I hate the idea of my guts bulging out!:ep

Carolyn

Power Conserver
Reaction score
One of my brothers had a double hernia when he was 16, now he said he as another one at age 53. My ex had that kind of hernia, my mother had the belly button hernia surgery 2 times and my sister had hernias, I have incisional herias--one of them an emergency, but my kind of hernias are different. My kind of hernia is the tissue letting go along an incision--my incisions were from C sections and my first incisional hernia happened after my 2nd csection--29 yrs ago this spring. 2nd hernia surgery during my 3 and final c section 23 1/2 yrs ago. I went for several years with one, then had surgery 12 yrs ago. Emergency hernia surgery 6 yrs ago--each time they put in the latest newest mesh, had another emergency surgery to take out mesh because I was allergic to it.--full hernia again where they took the mesh out. My emergency hernia was because of pain, because I have incisional hernias, there is no discoloration. yes be able to "pop" it back in, watch for any black and blue and any sign of pain--run, not walk to the doctor. I jsut couldn't seem to "pop" back from the emergency hernia surgery, took a lot out of me. If there is a form of support you can use, if I were you, I would wear it and don't do any major heavy lifting. They had to take out my intestines and untwist the "knot" My mom didn't have pain, but some bruising around the area. You will run into many opinions, just watch and be careful--only you can make the decision. I have had my hernias for years inbetween surgeries and was ok--I think the emergency surgery was because I was working in the yard and lifting heavy items, turning and twisting. But I am very careful. Carolyn

Reaction score
Carolyn said:
One of my brothers had a double hernia when he was 16, now he said he as another one at age 53. My ex had that kind of hernia, my mother had the belly button hernia surgery 2 times and my sister had hernias, I have incisional herias--one of them an emergency, but my kind of hernias are different. My kind of hernia is the tissue letting go along an incision--my incisions were from C sections and my first incisional hernia happened after my 2nd csection--29 yrs ago this spring. 2nd hernia surgery during my 3 and final c section 23 1/2 yrs ago. I went for several years with one, then had surgery 12 yrs ago. Emergency hernia surgery 6 yrs ago--each time they put in the latest newest mesh, had another emergency surgery to take out mesh because I was allergic to it.--full hernia again where they took the mesh out. My emergency hernia was because of pain, because I have incisional hernias, there is no discoloration. yes be able to "pop" it back in, watch for any black and blue and any sign of pain--run, not walk to the doctor. I jsut couldn't seem to "pop" back from the emergency hernia surgery, took a lot out of me. If there is a form of support you can use, if I were you, I would wear it and don't do any major heavy lifting. They had to take out my intestines and untwist the "knot" My mom didn't have pain, but some bruising around the area. You will run into many opinions, just watch and be careful--only you can make the decision. I have had my hernias for years inbetween surgeries and was ok--I think the emergency surgery was because I was working in the yard and lifting heavy items, turning and twisting. But I am very careful. Carolyn
When I had my surgery the hernia sight was very sensitive to pain. Like 8 on a 10 scale. The doctor is pushing on it and says "I think we'll just push that back in" I'm like "WHAT". So they gave me a big dose of Diladid. They never did try to push it back in. I did the final deed by picking apples. Up on a ladder twisting and reaching. I've been fine sense then. Little sore on occasion but no gut busting yet.