Anyone build a Purple Martin House?

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The purple martins are competing with teh blue birds for the 2 bird houses that I have out right now. I really want a colony of martins to move in. The lady behind us had a martin house when I was growing up and I loved to watch them dart around catching insects.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've never built one but there are tons of plans on the internet for them. I would look for a plan that makes the compartments easy to build and the whole house easy to disassemble to for cleaning out during winter.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
they are so much fun to watch flying! :)

they would at times come through and fly and then perch on the sill above my patio door which i look out much of the day.
what we have here and the most regular, those are pigeons... they really love those kinds of stuff. I will definitely create one here for the pigeons...

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am thinking of building a Purple Martin House - we have the perfect place for them with alot of wide open fields. There were alot of Purple martins looking for nesting sites at our place this summer.
Anyone have any experience building a 2 or 3 story condo?
Any hints on how to make a pole that will allow me to lower the house for cleaning and housekeeping?

Any helpful comments and suggestions are welcome
One of the most important steps to attract Purple Martins is to select the best place for your martin home. Martins prefer the housing that is put in open areas with direct pathways. Choose the middle of the largest open area accessible, approximately 30-120 feet from human housing and at least 40-60 feet from trees.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have 25 acres and the martin houses will be at the edges of the pasture areas. I am making 1 this spring and will make a couple of bluebird houses also. Maybe a second martin house for next year.

Latest posts