ANyone eaten goat meat?

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I have no clue where to post this, but was curious as to the taste texture etc of goat meat if anyone has tried it.
:D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
We ate it when I was a teen and I remember that I liked it, especially as burgers on the hibachi. It has a bit of a "taste" to it, but it was quite good.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've had it in an Indian curry. The spices rather hide the taste, but I find it similar to lamb, of which I am quite fond.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have found goat to be very good. Very mild taste. Doesn't taste like beef or chicken or pork. Not sure about lamb since I don't eat lamb. We have made chops on the grill with just a little spice or even just some sea salt.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Thank you guys I appreciate the input.
I do enjoy lamb, and lamb curry is my favorite!!! I would think it would taste similar, but I dunno for sure.

I'm getting two new goats in a few weeks, once they're weaned, one is a weather and one a little girlie, and I was told she can probably be bred in January or so next year.

I was thinking of not breeding her as I don't really want a bunch of goats, BUT if there is perhaps a possibility we could eat any boy's we got, I think I might let her have a baby or two. (they're Boar goats)

Does anyone know the best age to process a goat?

We don't have the land to grow out our own beef, so goat sounds perhaps like a good alternative if we don't get too attached (as usual)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I have eaten quite a bit of goat. I like it! :D

A cowboy/roper friend of mine used to buy a billy goat every year to use when practicing his heeling throw for team roping. He always got those old brush goats cheap. After he practiced on them a while he and his dad would process them into some wonderful summer sausages.

We also eat goat often at both an Ethiopian restaurant and an Indian restaurant near us.

We also eat both lamb and venison around here. I would say goat kind of splits the difference between those two meats.

sammileah

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
7 months or 80 lbs. call local butcher shop and see what they like.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Funny story (well, I think it is anyway ;)) - a former colleague of mine (in California) was originally from the Phillipines, but was raised in Hawaii. She flew back to Hawaii for a wedding, and said that her luggage was full of goat meat - apparently a traditional food at Phillipino weddings. And, surprisingly (to me), easier and/or cheaper to get in Calif. than in Hawaii. I asked her about all the other stuff one usually takes on vacation, or for a wedding - like clothes - and she said no, no clothes, just goat. You don't need more than shorts, a shirt, and flipflops, and those she could borrow from her sister! :lol:

Marshmallow Man

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Don't you have to castrate the males before they come of age? I heard the testosterone affects the taste.