ANyone eaten goat meat?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Marshmallow Man said:
Don't you have to castrate the males before they come of age? I heard the testosterone affects the taste.
I have heard that as well and if it was ME I am sure I would wether any I planned to eat. My friend that made the summer sausage used intact bucks. Then again the summer sausage he made was pretty spicy it seemed to cover up any off flavors if there were any. ;)

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have eaten alot of goat. In this area we have a big population of mexicans, and they have at all big events. The first time I ate it was in burritos, loved it,

Now we raise our own, as a matter of fact got one in the pasture, waiting to be process the first of October, at which time we will be doing him and 2 lambs 1 steer.

We raise our goats from the spring just like a lamb.And we are of the thinking that all our male animals are casturated. It does effect the taste and texture.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
We also eat both lamb and venison around here. I would say goat kind of splits the difference between those two meats.
Yeah! It really is good. That's another reason why I keep eyeing my annoying wether and fingering my machete...

It is really, really good in curry or ground & spiced.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I'm so glad so many have tried it, when I first thought about it - it made me feel guilty! :gig

This would be an easy way for us to keep our freezer stocked a bit - I'm sure one goat would be lots of meat for us. We bought 1/2 a cow 7 months ago and still have tons in the freezer.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When I was 9 my parents moved the big house onto this property and we had a moving crew to do the job. Dad BBQed a goat. He then claimed that everything to the right was deer and everything to the left was goat. Well all the BBQed 'deer' was eaten by the crew and the goat was left for the family. They loved the 'deer' and we loved the goat.