Anyone else having computer problems today?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I realize what was going on last night, I was on BYC, got the message that they were doing maintenance, came here for a few moments and then left for the rest of the night.

Today, ....When I go to search something else, I will click on a link, and the web browser will take me to a completely different website. When I hit the back button, I have to go through at least two different sights to get back to the search engines results page.

I am running a diagnostic on the 'puter right now, and so far 5 files have been detected.

Anyone else? Being a completely ignorant person regarding the workings of computers and internet rather than being able to search and type, should I just stay off until everything gets fixed, or hubby comes home?

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I ran a couple of different things-spybot and norten and my little bro is an IT guy for AT&T so I might have him come and do a sweep later this week.
so far tho I think everything is ok.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
There was something on my computer too. We used 2 programs and hopefully got everything out. We figured it out a few days ago. It's acting pretty normal now.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Not knowing exactly what sort of malware the temporarily-hacked BYC was infecting computers with, personally I would stay totally off the internet (like, physically disconnect the modem phone line too) until someone who knows stuff 'bout computers can take a look.

JMHO,

Pat

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I missed all the issues with the sites the other day but today I'm finding I'm getting a lot of error messages when trying to get on different sites.

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We sure dodged a bullet with the Trojan mess, but it did crash MY computer. Fortunately our computer guy cleaned it all up. Here I was, thinking the last malware straw was the survey I signed regarding GMO salmon!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I've been having problems with my browser redirecting me to site after site as well, very frustrating! Almost crashed hubbys laptop... Just the last two days...and I haven't visited BYC...

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
It was unfortunately a problem cross all the sites, not just BYC. You can follow the steps in the thread above which should help begin the process of cleaning up the problems.