Anyone ever ask for cash discount ?

chickenjoe

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Has anyone ever paid cash for something and ask for a discount. If so, how much of one have you gotten and at what places of business.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I always ask and I own a business where I am asked on a regular basis. I almost always get the discount and give one as well. A good way to start the dialog is to ask what credit cards they accept because it the merchant pays fees to accept credit and debit cards and those fees really add up. Then ask if they will discount the amount of the CC fee if you use cash. You can get at least 2% off the transaction that way and remember that its generally the mom and pop, main street type businesses that can do this for you not the big box stores. You have nothing to loose so just ask.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Many of the gas-food stores have signs out saying that you can get gas cheaper [currently 10 cents/gal ] by paying cash in the stores even though they have gas pumps equipped to take credit-debit cards. I used to think it was to avoid sales taxes but they have convinced me that there 2 other good reasons. Card fees #1 but #2 is the fact that if they can get you in the door you are likely to buy a snack or a drink or tobacco which are big money makers. I live in a wet city in a dry county and about 60% of the six-packs of beer ate sold in the little stores just inside city limits, so it worth it to get people to come into the stores. Also it is well known around here that you can get good cash discounts on medium ticket items rather than using a credit card. ~gd

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That may be true in some areas, but not here. Here, you're not allowed to pump your own gas and have no need to get out of your car at all. But, they still have the discount for paying cash.

A lot depends on the type of store it is. You're more likely to be able to get a discount in small stores than in a large chain store.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Wait..what? Not ALLOWED to pump your own fuel?! There are few full serve stations left here, and i always pump my own, but wow, not even allowed....that's a new one to me.

Yes, I ALWAYS ask for a cash discount, and get one about half the time. I also always ask for the model that they don't have in stock of whatever I am buying, and then get them to sell me the display at way cheaper. I'm a tight wad :lol:

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Wait..what? Not ALLOWED to pump your own fuel?! There are few full serve stations left here, and i always pump my own, but wow, not even allowed....that's a new one to me.

Yes, I ALWAYS ask for a cash discount, and get one about half the time. I also always ask for the model that they don't have in stock of whatever I am buying, and then get them to sell me the display at way cheaper. I'm a tight wad :lol:
Yep, not allowed to pump your own gas-unless you're on a motorcycle.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Wannabefree said:

That's just weird :p

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Denim Deb said:
Wannabefree said:

That's just weird :p
Well, this is New Jersey. :lol: The bad thing is when I go out of state and need gas. Then, I have to figure out what I'm doing.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
New Jersey, and Oregon. I think these are the only two states where pumping gas yourself is not allowed. It means there are jobs for some who might not have them, I suppose. Don't know about New Jersey, but here in Oregon the price is still lower than in California, where you pump your own (different tax structure). I'm not sure about the prices in Washington. I don't mind ... especially on those wet Pacific Northwest days :lol: And, DD, I agree ... when I go down into California (at least once a year - family stuff) I have to learn all over again about how to pump gas :lol:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Depends on the time of year and which way the wind blows on prices between Washington and Oregon. When we go down to visit my family, half the time we fill up at the Space Age in Hermiston, and half the time we fill up at the Costco in Kennewick. We always have to stop at Ranch and Home anyway (Hubby MUST go look at the guns and ammo) and we pass Costco just down the road from there.